This course continues your introduction to the law of torts with emphasis on negligence. You will begin by examining the historical origins of negligence, the purposes of negligence and the tort reforms of the early 2000s. You will then examine the elements of the cause of action in negligence: duty of care; breach of duty; and causation. You will also study defences, vicarious liability, the assessment of damages, and a range of situations in which negligence is applicable including medicine/health, motor vehicle accidents, occupiers of land, employment, local or public authorities, and ‘lawyering’ .
- (LAW201 and enrolled in any Law Program except AR391 or UU301 or XU301) or
- LAW102 and enrolled in AR391
- Semester of offer: *
- Sippy Downs: Semester 2
- Student contribution band:
- Band 3
- Tuition fee:
- Law, Accounting, Administration, Economics, Commerce:
- Census date:
- Academic Calendar
- Class Timetable:
- View class timetables for this course
* Semester of offer is subject to change.
LAW202 Course Outline Semester 2, 2018 (PDF 135KB) Students enrolled in this course should check the course Blackboard site to ensure that they are accessing the most recent approved version of the course outline.
For PDF documents you must have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader, which can be downloaded from the Adobe Download page.