Bachelor of Communication – Creative Advertising Major
The advertising and media communication industries are experiencing unprecedented change, arguably the greatest change in living memory.
These changes are of a generation-altering nature and are largely being driven by a combination of technology and increasing consumer engagement with the media.
This in turn is forcing a re-think of both the nature and composition of the communications landscape and the skills and proficiencies needed by the next generation of communication professionals.
Employers today want graduates who are confident thinkers and good communicators, educated and prepared to ‘hit the ground running’.
As a result, our professional advertising and communication program has a strong vocational focus, encouraging engagement with activities that replicate professional practice to help equip our students with the skills and knowledge essential to build a career in one of the most exciting and demanding professional industry environments.
Our internship-based programs and close working relationships with our industry partners allow students to gain essential experience in the workplace prior to completing their studies and receive academic credit at the same time.
The end result is that our graduates are being actively sought by major employers.
In the Creative Advertising Major students will gain both a breadth and depth of absolutely current industry knowledge.
Students will study specific industry-focused courses including:
- CMN140 Introduction to Creative Advertising
- DES105 Introduction to Design and Concept
- CMN222 Multimedia Advertising
- CMN226 Advertising: Copy and Image
- CMN248 Creative Advertising
- CMN275 Creative Media Planning
- CMN224 Advertising Campaigns
Our courses are taught by our academic staff members who offer an essential combination of academic qualifications and professional industry experience, thereby ensuring our students a seamless transition from university study to the professions.
Beyond real-world projects in the classroom, students will be given the opportunity to experience authentic work-place and hands-on industry experience in a number of ways:
An industry internship
- Students will undertake an internship in their final year of study
- Students will identify an internship opportunity in a local, regional or national creative advertising or media agency or in a marketing communications agency, department or organisation
- Students will work in the organisation under the supervision of a professional practitioner and are accountable to the organisation for their work output
- Students will prepare a reflective journal of their experiences which is assessed as part of their formal study program
Work experience in an on-campus student communications agency
Digitall is the student on-campus communications agency at USC. Past clients of Digitall have included Canon Cameras (internationally), not-for-profit and charity organisation Legacy, Kid’s Helpline and Good Beginnings Australia (nationally), as well as a large number of regional consumer brand and community service companies and organisations.
- Students will have an opportunity to work in USC's Digitall agency
- Students will assist in developing comprehensive marketing communication and advertising campaigns for real clients; local, national and international
- Students will develop and professionally present campaigns to clients; learning both the strategies and practicalities of campaign creation, as well as the importance of team work and professional presentation skills
International creative advertising study tours
Exposure to and interaction with the international communications industry is seen as essential for the rounded development of graduates who can live and work in a global environment. Thus, we offer International Creative Advertising Study Tours to major consumer markets around the world.
- Students apply for and are selected competitively to be a member of these study tours
- In recent years, we have conducted tours to New York, Singapore and Hong Kong
- Tours are planned for China, South East Asia and the United Kingdom in coming years
- On students' return to USC they prepare a journal of their experiences as well as share their experiences through presentations to student groups, including new first year students during our O Week celebrations.
What do our students have to say?
Click on the video link below to watch our Creative Advertising students talking about life and learning both at USC and on study tour.
For more information on the Creative Advertising Major visit the Bachelor of Communication.
For general enquiries about Faculty of Arts, Business and Law work integrated learning opportunities please contact:
Faculty of Arts, Business and Law
Tel: +61 7 5430 1259