14 February 2018
Entries are invited from students currently enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate forestry program (including honours and research programs) at an Australian University.
SmartForests18 is a student award program hosted by peak industry body Timber Queensland.
The aim of the program is to enhance student awareness of issues and challenges related specifically to Queensland's forest and timber industry.
Entries will present an identified Queensland industry challenge or opportunity, a description of the student’s research that aims to explore/address the identified issue, and some insights into how the project results can/may be applied for impact.
A special thank you to USC Forest Industries Research Centre for their support in the organisation of the awards and assistance to ensure students can fully participate in the conference.
About the program
The entry that receives the highest final evaluation by the judges will:
1. Receive a $1000 cash prize and complimentary tickets for the 2020 TQ State Conference, and;
2. Act as the Queensland SmartForests18 Ambassador and attend appropriate Queensland-based TQ member meetings and industry functions, workshops and events to develop networks (up to $500 travel support to facilitate attendance to approved events)
Tickets to attend the 2018 Conference on 19 April will be made available to five students who submit full and complete abstracts by Friday 9 March (does not include travel/accommodation). The awardees will be chosen by major sponsoring organisation The Gottstein Trust and will be notified in writing by Friday 23 March 2018.
PART A - ABSTRACT
Due Friday 9 March 5pm
A 300 word abstract based on an identified Queensland industry challenge or opportunity is to be submitted via the online form on this page.
The abstract should include:
- Title of Poster/Presentation
- Names, affiliations and a brief biography of the author
- Text of no more than 300 words
- Any photos to support your abstract
PART B - PROJECT POSTER
Due Friday 6 April 5pm
A hard copy landscape A1 size poster should be submitted to:
Smart Forest 18
30 Boothby St
Kedron Q 4031
Both Part A & Part B must be received to be eligible for the SmartForests18 Award. Please refer to Judging Criteria for detailed requirements.
Recipients of current and previous Gottstein Trust Funding are not eligible for this Award.