14 November 2017
The Thompson Institute in conjunction with the Faculty of Arts, Business and Law (FABL) at USC are providing the following opportunities to engage in research work conducted at the Thompson Institute over the 2017-2018 summer semester.
The Thompson Institute Summer Research Scholarships offer a unique opportunity for local students to gain valuable real-world experience as well as an insight into what research is all about. Depending on the project, students can gain experience and skills in:
- data collection,
- data analysis,
- literature reviews,
- interviewing techniques,
- learning to use specialised hardware and software, and
- acquiring specialist skills in the laboratory.
Two successful candidates will receive a $5000 scholarship for research work conducted over an 8-week period from Monday 4 December 2017 through to Wednesday 31 January 2018.
Information for applicants:
- Applicants must be enrolled in a USC program at the time of the application.
- Applicants must have completed a minimum of one year of full-time study (or equivalent) at time of application.
- Preference will be given to students who are further along in their studies.
- Applicants will be chosen on the basis of their cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) and/or interview (GPA will be calculated on a combination of undergraduate and postgraduate studies).
- Applicants must have a strong interest and commitment to mental health research.
- Applications must include two academic referee contact details and a current academic transcript.
Applications close at midnight 26 November 2017.
The following two Summer Scholarship Projects are available:
- Sunny Teens Adolescent Brain Study
- Item Response Theory analysis of Self-Report Questionnaire Data