Academic progress

Accessibility links

Academic progress


Note: This page provides advice for coursework students. Students enrolled in a Higher Degrees by Research should refer to HDR Candidature.

As a USC student, the University monitors your academic performance to ensure you are moving toward successful completion of your program requirements.

We recognise that there are many factors that can affect your academic progress, especially if you are a first-year student making the transition to tertiary study.

Help with academic progress

If you are experiencing difficulties with your studies, you are expected to proactively seek assistance and to access support services where needed. This might include meeting with an academic skills adviser or attending faculty drop-in sessions.

USC’s Student Success team is available to connect you with relevant support, and to help you develop a plan to improve your results.

The University has a range of services to help you get back on track. These include:

If you are experiencing personal or financial difficulties that are impacting your studies, you should seek assistance through Student Central as soon as possible.

Monitoring Academic Progress and Exclusion

Academic progress and unsatisfactory performance is managed under the University’s Monitoring Academic Progress and Exclusion - Academic Policy and Procedures. These procedures are divided into three stages: early intervention; monitored enrolment; and consideration for exclusion.

1. What is early intervention (MAP Stage 1)?

The University measures your progress based on the grades you achieve for individual courses, and your overall Grade Point Average (GPA). If you fail one or more courses in a given study period the Student Success team will contact you to provide resources and support.

At this stage, you will be encouraged to reflect on what might have impacted your studies, and to develop a plan to improve your results in future study periods. The Student Success team can help you do this.

2. What is monitored enrolment (MAP Stage 2)?

If you fail the same course more than once, have a failed attempt at a Work Integrated Learning (WIL) placement course, or record a GPA of less than 3.0, you will be placed on monitored enrolment for the upcoming study period.

You will need to develop a formal Academic Improvement Plan that will help you set clear goals and actions to improve your academic performance. This may include:

  • participating in academic skills programs

  • participating in an additional tutorial or study group

  • participating in individual case management

  • attending counselling

  • receiving assistance with personal issues which are influencing progress

You may be required to meet with a USC staff member to discuss your Academic Improvement Plan.

The Student Success team can help you develop your plan, and will contact you during your monitored enrolment period to discuss your progress.

3. What is Consideration for exclusion (MAP Stage 3)?

If your performance does not improve during a period of monitored enrolment, or you meet other MAP Stage 3 criteria relating to your unsatisfactory progress, you may be considered for exclusion from the University. If you are excluded, you will not be able to enrol in courses (typically for a period of 12 months) and will need to apply for readmission if you wish to continue your studies in future. Re-admission to your program (or any other offered by this University) is not guaranteed.

If you are identified for exclusion, you will be invited to ‘show cause’ as to why you should be allowed to continue your studies.

4. What is 'show cause'?

You have the right to ‘show cause’ against exclusion, to explain why you should not be excluded. To do this, you will need to write a formal letter outlining the reasons for your unsatisfactory performance, the actions you have taken to improve your performance, and other relevant information. You will also need to supply supporting documentation, for example, medical certificates, evidence of extenuating circumstances, etc.

For advice on how to prepare your show cause response, and the types of supporting documentation you should provide, contact Student Central. Responding to the show cause is considered to be equivalent to seeking a review of the decision to exclude you, as per Stage 2 of the Student Grievance Resolution - Governing Policy.

You must submit your show cause to Student Central by the date advised in your show cause notification.

Information for international students

If you are a Student visa holder, you must complete your program by the end date listed on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). If you fail a course, you are at risk of not being able to complete your program by your CoE end date. It is important that you discuss your study plan with Student Central and the implications for your Student visa with USC International.

If you are excluded from your studies, your eligibility for your current and any future Student visas may be affected. In the case of exclusion, the University will cancel your enrolment and notify the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA).

International students should seek clarification on how the monitored enrolment may affect their visa, by contacting USC International and DOHA.

Back to top

Pro tip: To search, just start typing - at any time, on any page.

Searching {{ model.SearchType }} for returned more than {{ model.MaxResults }} results.
The top {{ model.MaxResults }} of {{ model.TotalItems }} are shown below.

Searching {{ model.SearchType }} for returned {{ model.TotalItems }} results.

Searching {{ model.SearchType }} for returned no results.