There are many services available to you as an Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander or Australian South Sea Islander student at USC.
Applying for study
Academic and study assistance
- Indigenous Academic Mentoring (IAM) — can assist with your learning and study skills, problem solving, critical analysis, unpacking an assessment piece, assessment and semester planning and time management to name a few. One-to-one learning skills advice appointments with Mentors are available between 10am and 3pm Monday to Friday during semester. View our mentor profiles to find a mentor to suit you and book an appointment.
- If you are Australian South Sea Islander student, please contact Indigenous Services for information on academic and study assistance.
- Indigenous Services Student Advisers — Our Student Advisers can assist with accommodation, enrolment, program advice, scholarships and advocacy to get you prepared for your studies and during your academic journey. Book a one to one appointment with a Student Adviser via the Student Hub.
- Multicultural Affairs Tutorial Assistance Program — additional academic and study support available to Australian South Sea Islander students.
- Other academic and study services.
- Employment and work-based learning opportunities - all students can access employment support through Indigenous Services
- Resources — laptops, study guides, textbooks and other resources.
- Community contacts and useful links — links to Indigenous events, history and local community support services and news.
- Indigenous Services — our team supports Indigenous students and promotes Indigenous culture and education at USC.
- Reconciliation Action Plan — USC's commitment to reconciliation
- Welcome to Country and Acknowledgement of Traditional Custodians—acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the lands on which the University is located.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander student news
Student earns national Indigenous health award
University of the Sunshine Coast student Tracy Hardy has a vision for better health for Indigenous Australians – and her efforts to achieve this have earned her a national award.
Former tiler tipped to scale property heights
University of the Sunshine Coast student Ethan Lock is on an exciting journey from the suburban building sites of the Sunshine Coast to the skyscrapers of Hong Kong after winning a competitive international travel bursary for Property students.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander student stories
My research is very aligned with my values, particularly in relation to Aboriginal Australia because of who I am.
Marnee Shay — Graduate Diploma in Education, 2008; Master of Education (research specialisation); Chancellor's Medallist, 2014; University Lecturer and PhD student.
USC graduate, Mason West, wins the 2015 Planning Institute of Australia (PIA) Minister’s Town Planning Prize for his Honours thesis.
Mason West — Bachelor of Regional and Urban Planning graduate
I decided that if I really wanted to make a difference that I should not wait for someone to take up my dreams.
Vinnie Kinchela — Bachelor of Social Work student