IAM Mentors provide tuition and mentoring to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students enrolled in a program of study at the University of the Sunshine Coast.
This involves working with students to develop study and time management skills, researching and referencing skills, and with assignment presentation, assessment analysis, and establishing links to other USC academic services.
IAM Mentors are engaged for the duration of a semester on a casual basis. All mentoring activities take place at one of USC campuses or learning hubs.
IAM Mentor selection criteria
- A degree (or be currently studying a tertiary degree) with a GPA of at least 5.0 in the previous two semesters.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to successfully communicate with a diverse range of people.
- The ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong time management skills and organisational abilities.
- Sound computer literacy and reporting skills.
- An understanding of students’ educational needs and the demonstrated ability to empower their educational engagement is highly desirable.
Additionally, all IAM Mentors must be willing and available to undertake USC’s Indigenous Cultural Awareness training upon commencement of their appointment.
Those who wish to become an IAM Mentor including all those who have previously been a tutor with other programs, must register and supply supporting documentation each semester to be considered for appointment. The completion of this paperwork does not guarantee employment.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
Form submission may take a few seconds. As confirmation of receipt, a copy of your request will be forwarded to your email address within the next few minutes. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.