Once you decide on a career, you need to get the qualifications, experience and skills to pursue opportunities in your chosen field. The following resources can help you plan your next steps.
Planning for study at USC
- Think about your reasons for doing a degree.
- Have a clear idea of what you will gain.
- Use USC's career guide to help you find the right USC degree for your chosen profession.
- Learn more about USC's courses and programs and think about your ability to study full-time or part-time.
- Consider broader degree programs to give you flexibility to tailor your study as you develop skills and knowledge.
- Why choose USC? Find out more about study at the University.
- Investigate costs and financial assistance available.
- Find out how to apply and enrol.
Gain experience and develop contacts
You will develop academic skills and qualifications from undergraduate study but you should also look to gain skills that can help your employability and build your networks. You can:
- Attend short courses:
- First Aid courses
- Blue Cards (working with children or general safety inductions)
- Speech and oral presentation courses (eg Toastmasters)
- Software or industry specific training (eg Microsoft Office, MYOB, Fidelio, QuickBooks etc)
- Go to on-campus career events and employer presentations. Upcoming events are listed on Student Hub and on the event calendar.
- Find out about work experience or internship opportunities through the Work Integrated Learning program at USC.
- Investigate continuing on to postgraduate study.
- Study overseas and earn credit towards you USC degree through USC's award-winning Study Overseas Program.
- Look for work while you study. Student Hub has casual and part-time jobs advertised.
- Explore volunteer opportunities.
- Get involved in a range of events and activities, clubs and societies at USC and outside of University. You could even start your own. Visit the UniClub for more information.
- Talk to people and do not be afraid to ask for advice. Your network will expand and all kinds of help can result.