This form should be used by international students only. Domestic students should apply for a leave of absence.
Prior to submitting this application for suspension of studies, international students should discuss their situation with Student Central. Higher Degree by Research students wishing to apply for suspension of studies should also contact the Office of Research. An international student may only be granted suspension of studies for one study period at a time. Suspensions of study are limited to a maximum of two study periods in total.
International students may only be granted a suspension of studies under the following circumstances:
- Medical reasons (evidenced by a registered medical practitioner completing the USC Medical Certificate (PDF 49KB)
- Exceptional compassionate circumstances beyond the student’s control
Note: If exceptional circumstances exist, students may wish to meet with counselling staff in Student Wellbeing prior to submitting an application for suspension of studies.
Application submission timeline
If you want the suspension of studies to take effect for a study period that has already commenced, you are required to withdraw from all course(s) in that study period. This may result in financial liability and/or academic penalty, depending on the time of submission.
- Before census date: Your enrolled course(s) will be removed from your academic record and you will receive no grade for those courses removed.
- After census date and prior to the end of week 9 of the study period*: Your enrolled course(s) remains on your academic record and you will be given a grade of “WN (Withdrawn)” and financial liability**.
- After week 9 of study period* and prior to the start of the examination period: Your enrolled course(s) remains on your academic record and you will be given a grade of “WF (Withdrawn Fail)” and financial liability**.
Student visa holders
Please note if this application is approved, the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA) will be notified of the change to your enrolment and this may affect the validity of your Student visa. DOHA may investigate the circumstances of your suspension. If the suspension is deemed unacceptable, the validity of your Student visa may be affected. It is recommended you discuss your intentions to suspend your studies with DOHA prior to lodging this application.
Note: Application for suspension of studies after the start of the examination period is not accepted.
* Equivalent in session or trimester
** If you wish to apply for removal of financial liability, please submit ‘Application for Removal of Financial Liability and/or Academic Penalty in Special Circumstances’ form to Student Central.