Government assistance

Accessibility links

Government assistance


Centrelink can provide financial support to assist with costs while you undertake tertiary education.

Youth Allowance

Youth Allowance: If you are under 25, a full-time student and an Australian resident, you may be eligible to apply for the financial study assistance known as Youth Allowance. Youth Allowance provides financial help for young people who are studying and training full time, undertaking a full time Australian Apprenticeship, or looking for work or sick.


Austudy: If you are a full-time student and an Australian citizen aged 25 years or more, you may apply for Austudy benefits.


ABSTUDY: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people enrolled to study at the University of the Sunshine Coast are entitled to apply for an ABSTUDY allowance. The allowance is means tested, and income based.

Fares Allowance

Fares Allowance: Helps cover the cost of travelling between your permanent home and the place where you are studying if you are a student who has to live away from home in order to study.

Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance

Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance: Helps with the cost of approved child care for eligible parents undertaking an approved activity.

Relocation Scholarship

Relocation Scholarship: An annual payment to help students in higher education who are required to live away from their family home while studying.

Rent Assistance

Rent Assistance: Financial help to people who pay rent and receive a Centrelink payment.

Student Start-up Loan

Student Start-up Loan: Help for the upfront cost of study for eligible higher education students.

Pensioner Education Supplement

Pensioner Education Supplement: You may qualify for the Pensioner Education Supplement if you are receiving a payment from Centrelink or the Department of Veterans' Affairs and are undertaking approved full-time or part-time study.

More information on Government assistance for individuals who are studying can be found on the Department of Human Services website.

Keep updated

For the latest information about support, payments and services, including relevant Centrelink and Medicare information visit the Student Update on Facebook and Student Update on Twitter.

Back to top

Pro tip: To search, just start typing - at any time, on any page.

Searching {{ model.SearchType }} for returned more than {{ model.MaxResults }} results.
The top {{ model.MaxResults }} of {{ model.TotalItems }} are shown below.

Searching {{ model.SearchType }} for returned {{ model.TotalItems }} results.

Searching {{ model.SearchType }} for returned no results.