Semester 1, 2020 applications open 1 September 2019 and close on 30 November 2019.
Selections will be held in January/February with all applicants being notified of the outcome of their application by Friday 28 February 2020.
In recognition of Dr June Canavan's younger years spent growing up in a regional town, The June Canavan Regional Scholarship supports higher education opportunities for those living in regional areas. This scholarship aims to encourage women, with leadership potential in a sport and health science discipline, to embrace the opportunity for higher education.
One (1) new Scholarship each year, with a total value of up to $20,000, will be provided to the successful Scholarship recipient for up to four (4) years of undergraduate study at the University of the Sunshine Coast. Each Scholarship is valued at $5,000 per annum (paid in 2 x $2,500 instalments after confirmation of enrolment each semester), for up to 8 semesters (for a 4 year undergraduate study program), total value up to $20,000. Please note, should the female student recipient be undertaking a three (3) year undergraduate study program, the total value of the Scholarship will be $15,000.
* If a worthy recipient is unable to be identified in the Gympie or Fraser Coast Council areas then consideration will be given to students from other Queensland regional areas in the disciplines specified.
** Bonus ranks applied as a result of any scheme will NOT apply for the purposes of awarding scholarships
Scholarship payments will be made approximately three weeks after Census Date in each Semester, once enrolment has been confirmed.
- Commencing full time female student, in first undergraduate program
- Enrolled in a Bachelor program in a School of Health and Sport Sciences discipline including:
- Biomedical Science, Nutrition and Dietetics, Occupational Therapy, Public Health, Sport and Exercise Science
- Living in or relocating from either Gympie or Fraser Coast Council areas to study at USC *
- Permanent resident of Australia, Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen or Permanent Australian Humanitarian Visa Holder
- Selection criteria
- High academic achiever - minimum of OP8 (or equivalent) **
- leadership skills demonstrated through academic, extra-curricular, work or community activities
- financial need
- Eligible programs
- Bachelor program in a School of Health and Sport Sciences discipline
- Number available
- A$5,000 per annum for a maximum of 8 semesters