In recognition of Dr June Canavan's younger years spent growing up in a regional town, The June Canavan Regional Scholarship supports higher education opportunities for those living in regional areas. This scholarship aims to encourage women, with leadership potential in a sport and health science discipline, to embrace the opportunity for higher education.
This Agreement is made between the June Canavan Foundation and the University of the Sunshine Coast. The June Canavan Foundation shall donate to the University the sum of $60,000 for the purposes of funding a commencing undergraduate female student of the University of the Sunshine Coast.
One (1) new Scholarship each year, with a total value of up to $20,000, will be provided to the successful Scholarship recipient for up to four (4) years of undergraduate study at the University of the Sunshine Coast. Each Scholarship is valued at $5,000 per annum (paid in 2 x $2,500 instalments after confirmation of enrolment each semester), for up to 8 semesters (for a 4 year undergraduate study program), total value up to $20,000. Please note, should the female student recipient be undertaking a three (3) year undergraduate study program, the total value of the Scholarship will be $15,000.
** If a worthy recipient is unable to be identified in the Gympie or Fraser Coast Council areas then consideration will be given to students from other Queensland regional areas in the disciplines specified.
- Commencing full time female student, in first undergraduate program
- Enrolled in a Bachelor program in a School of Health and Sport Sciences discipline including:
- Biomedical Science, Nutrition and Dietetics, Occupational Therapy, Public Health, Sport and Exercise Science
- Living in or relocating from either Gympie or Fraser Coast Council areas to study at USC **
- Permanent resident of Australia, Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen or Permanent Australian Humanitarian Visa Holder
- Selection criteria:
- High academic achiever - minimum of OP8 (or equivalent)
- leadership skills demonstrated through academic, extra-curricular, work or community activities
- financial need
- Eligible programs:
- Bachelor program in a School of Health and Sport Sciences discipline
- Number available:
- A$5,000 per annum for a maximum of 8 semesters