Applications have now closed for Semester 1, 2019
School leavers who are commencing full-time study with an interest in the environment
The Sunshine Coast Daily Kathleen McArthur Memorial Scholarship was first established in 2003.
This scholarship is to honour the memory of Kathleen McArthur, conservationist, author, educator, activist and a founder of the Wildlife Preservation Society of Queensland in 1962.
Kathleen McArthur worked hard to preserve the area now known as Cooloola National Park. She was named the Sunshine Coast Daily Citizen of the Century in 2002.
The intent of this scholarship is to encourage and support a student with an active interest in the environment.
The scholarship is paid in instalments each semester (A$1,500 in first year; A$1,000 in second and third year).
2003 — Holli-Renee Halvorsen, Caloundra State High School
2004 — Peter Yates, Immanuel Lutheran College
2005 — Floyd McBain, Burnside State High School
2006 — Sarah Simpson, St John’s College
2007 — Charma Minter, Burnside State High School
2008 — Amy Strauss, Kawana Waters State College
2009 — Emma Murphy, Coolum State High School
2010 — Elly Anderson, Maroochydore State High School
2011 — Tori Taylor, Urangan State High School
2012 — Delia Evans, Nambour State High School
2013 — Jessica Rynne, Murgon State High School
2014 — Emily Hick, Unity College
2015 — Jasmin Petersen, Maroochydore State High School
2016 — Clare Shaw, Unity College Caloundra
2017 — Jessica Hickey, St John's College Nambour
2018 — April Sweet, Caloundra State High School
- commencing full-time in first undergraduate degree program in the year immediately following graduation from secondary school
- graduating from a high school in the Moreton, Somerset, Sunshine Coast, Noosa, Gympie, South Burnett or Fraser Coast Council local government areas
- permanent resident of Australia, Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen or Permanent Australian Humanitarian Visa holder
- Selection criteria
- high academic achievement
- demonstrated interest in and commitment to the environment
- financial need
- Eligible programs
- All programs
- Number available