Evaluate the effectiveness of prescribed fire in mitigating bushfire risk in southeast Queensland, Australia.
The goal of the research is to economically evaluate prescribed fire as a bushfire risk mitigation tool in southeast Queensland, Australia. The specific research objectives for the successful candidate will be tailored to suit their skills and interests in economics, natural resource management and spatial analysis. These objectives could include:
(a) collecting and analysing data on forest fuel loads with time since prescribed fire and bushfire;
(b) working with managers and practitioners to estimate fixed and variable costs of prescribed fire;
(c) performing market and non-market valuation of assets at risk from bushfire;
(d) developing prescribed fire scenarios for evaluation;
(e) simulating bushfire and the effectiveness of prescribed fire fuel breaks in mitigating the risk of bushfire to valued assets with a state-of-the-art spatially and temporally-explicit bushfire simulation model; and
(f) economically evaluate alternative prescribed fire scenarios.
Please contact Dr. Tyron Venn via email address: email@example.com, for more information.
- To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must:
- hold a Bachelor degree in forestry, natural resources management, economics or spatial analysis with First Class honours, or be assessed by USC as having an equivalent level of attainment;
- not hold an equivalent HDR qualification to that being applied for;
- not be receiving an equivalent scholarship, or salary providing a benefit greater than 75 percent of the APA stipend rate to undertake the HDR
- recipients must maintain satisfactory progress as a full-time higher degree by research candidate at the University of the Sunshine Coast
- Selection criteria:
- Undergraduate achievement; and
- Research alignment; and
- Publications; and
- Most recent or relevant degree
- Eligible programs:
- Number available:
- Stipend commensurate with the APA rate (2016 rate - A$26,288), Tuition Fees and Overseas Health Cover for the standard duration of the program.
- How to apply for a Postgraduate Research Scholarship