The Office of Research will accept applications until all positions are filled.
The newly established Australian National Centre for Timber Durability and Design Life is seeking highly motivated students interested in pursuing PhD’s in the area of wood deterioration and its prevention.
The Centre is based in Brisbane Australia and is a joint venture between the University of the Sunshine Coast (USC), the University of Queensland and the Queensland Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (QDAF).
Students will be based at the USC Brisbane campus and will operate in laboratory facilities operated by QDAF. Highly qualified students will receive a stipend and tuition waiver to support their studies. Possible research areas include, but are not limited to:
- Novel methods for assessing heartwood durability
- Fungal colonization patterns in decayed wood
- Improved methods for assessing durability
- Developing predictive durability models
- Developing improved methods for timber preservation
For more information you can contact Professor Jeff Morrell - email@example.com
- Domestic student or International HDR student at USC (see application details below on how to apply for admission)
- Bachelors Degree with First Class Honours or equivalent previous study, relevant work experience, research publications, or other research experience
- Maintain satisfactory progress
- Not hold an equivalent qualification to the one currently being applied for
- Not have previously held a Commonwealth-funded postgraduate research scholarship unless it was terminated within six months of the current scholarship’s payments commencing
- Not be the recipient of an equivalent award, scholarship, or salary, providing a benefit greater than 75 percent of the RTP rate to undertake a HDR. Income unrelated to the course of study is not to be taken into account.
- Selection criteria
- Academic qualifications
- Alignment of the proposed research to one of USC’s areas of research concentration
- Record of research publications
- Professional research experience
- Successful candidates will have the opportunity to work with researchers across Australia as well as Europe and North America to help craft the Centre. Opportunities also exist for short-term exchanges with other laboratories as needs to complete the research.
- Eligible programs
- Number available
- Annual stipend (valued at $27,082 in 2018).
- If the successful recipient is an International student the scholarship will include tuition fees and Overseas Student Health Cover (single cover)
- To apply:
- Review the HDR Applicants webpage and complete an application for admission
- Review the Applying for a Postgraduate Research Scholarship webpage
- Complete a Postgraduate Research Scholarship Application
- Complete a Response to Selection Criteria
- Submit to the Office of Research via firstname.lastname@example.org