Start-Up Scholarships and Relocation Scholarships
The Federal Government has income support arrangements in place for university students. These include:
USC Equity Bursaries
The USC Equity Bursary is a one-off payment during the semester, to assist with the costs of study. For 2018, we awarded around 800 bursaries to students on low income, from low socio-economic background and other equity circumstances.
Evidence of supporting income is a requirement of these bursaries (eg your current Centrelink print out, if applicable; 3 recent pay slips; and/or recent ATO tax return print-out).
To be eligible for any of these awards you must be a Commonwealth Supported Student (an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or New Zealand citizen).
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students
USC Indigenous Scholarships will be available from Semester 1, 2018. These scholarships are available to indigenous students from low-income backgrounds, who face significant financial barriers to studying at university. There are also scholarships for indigenous students who have relocated from rural or remote areas to study at USC.
- USC Indigenous Equity Bursary
- USC Indigenous Education Costs Scholarship
- USC Indigenous Relocation Costs Scholarship
- USC Indigenous Enabling Education Costs Scholarship
- USC Indigenous Enabling Relocation Costs Scholarship
Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships
In 2017 the Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarship Scheme changed due to updates to funding and legislation. New students will no longer be able to apply for these scholarships however students who are currently allocated an Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarship will continue to receive it provided they meet ongoing eligibility requirements.
- Indigenous Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarship (ICECS) provide students with A$2,727* a year for up to four years to assist with general study costs.
- Indigenous Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship (ICAS) provide students who have to moved from regional or remote areas to undertake their university studies with A$5,456* a year for up to four years to assist with accommodation and study costs.
* These are the 2019 Scholarship values. The Scholarship values are indexed annually.
Any questions should be directed to Student Central.