Emeritus Professor Ken Lyons has over thirty years experience as the Managing Director, Spatial Information Services Pty Ltd, where he currently leads experienced consultants in geographic data handling projects in Australia and overseas. Previously, Ken was the Professor of Surveying and Land Information and Head, Department of Geographical Sciences, at the University of Queensland, where he led research and development teams, developed educational programs and headed a large multi-discipline department. Ken has also held academic appointments as an Honorary Fellow, Land Tenure Center at the University of Wisconsin; a Professor and Head of Department of Surveying and Land Studies at the Papua New Guinea University of Technology; and Senior Lecturer in Surveying and Mapping at the Curtin University of Technology. In addition to his academic experience, Ken has served eighteen years in regular army and active military reserve in mapping, training, transport and operations, which included a one year post in commanding a unit in Vietnam.
Doctor of Philosophy, Murd.; Master of Surveying Science, NSW; Bachelor of Surveying (Honours IIA), NSW.
- Survey and mapping
- Land studies
- Land administration
- Property rights
- Cadastral systems
- Surveying and mapping systems
- Land use scenario planning and evaluation of proposals
- WyGIS (Wyoming Geographic Information Science Centre) Academic Affiliate (2007 - current)
- Spatial Queensland Industry Excellence Award (2005)
- Australian Urban and Regional Information Systems Association - Eminent Individual award (2003)
- Surveying & Spatial Sciences Institute (current)
- Institution of Surveyors, Australia (previous)
- Australian Institute of Cartographers (previous)
- Institute of Australian Geographers (previous)
- USA Urban and Regional Information System Association (previous)
- American Society for Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing (previous)
- Geographic Information & Technology Association (previous)
- American Society for Quality (previous)
- Society for Organisational Learning (Australia) (previous)
Contact Professor Ken Lyons via email SoSSAdmin@usc.edu.au.