Professor Michael Lueck first commenced at the Auckland University of Technology in 2005 as the Research Path Senior Lecturer. Michael has held numerous roles in AUT, including the Associate Director, Coastal & Marine Tourism Research Programme Area, New Zealand Tourism Research Institute (NZTRI), and the Inaugural Head of Department (Tourism & Event Management). School of Hospitality & Tourism. Currently Michael is a Professor in the School of Hospitality and Tourism within the Auckland University of Technology. Michael has extensive teaching and research experience in the areas of tourism, marine tourism, environmental tourism and policy. He has supervised over twenty higher degree by research students in these fields and has taught across undergraduate and postgraduate level programs. Prior to his time at AUT, Michael has worked for Hochschule (University of Applied Sciences), Germany, Brock University, Canada, and Napier University, Scotland.
PhD (Tourism), University of Otago; Diploma (Diplomkaufmann [FH]; equivalent to BA Honours), Fachhochschule Wilhelmshaven, Germany.
- Tourism in coastal and marine environments
- Tourism transport operations
- Tourism planning
- Marine tourism
- Conservation and heritage
- Contemporary tourism
- Sustainable tourism
- International tourism
- Tourism research
- Marine Tourism
- Tourism and Hospitality
- Environmental tourism and policy
- Sustainability tourism
- Cruise Research Society
- International Coastal & Marine Tourism Society (ICMTS) (Founding co-chair since June 2009)
- International Competence Network for Tourism Research and Education (ICNT) (Chair from September 2009 to December 2010)
- New Zealand Tourism Research Institute (NZTRI) (Associate Director, Coastal & Marine Tourism since 2006)
- Faculty of Culture and Society Excellence in Postgraduate Research Supervision Award, Auckland University of Technology (2018).
- Voted in the Top 50 “awesome tourism scholars” in the world, an initiative by Women Academics in Tourism (WAIT) (2018).
- Associate Vice- President Research Reward for A4-Status achievement in SSHRC Grant Competition, Brock University, for ‘Sexual Practices of Vacationing Gay Men: The Effectiveness of Safe Sex Campaigns’ (2005)
Key Research Publications
Porter, B & Lück, M 2018 ‘Tour guide training for hospitable nature-based tour experiences’, Hospitality Insights, vol.2(2), pp. 11-12.
Porter, B & Lück, M 2018, ‘Mermaiding as a form of marine devotion: A case study of a mermaid school in Borocay, Philippines’, Shima: The International Journal of Research into Island Cultures, vol. 18(2), pp. 231-249 (Special issue on mermaids, maritime folklore & modernity).
Aquino, R, Lück, M & Schänzel, H 2018, ‘A conceptual framework of tourism social entrepreneurship for sustainable community development’, Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Management, vol. 37, pp. 23-32.
Lück, M & Porter, B 2018, ‘The ethical dilemma of provisioning pelagic birds in exchange for a close encounter’, Special Issue on tourism and ethics. Journal of Ecotourism.
Radic, A & Lück, M 2018, ‘(Don’t) blame it on the weather: The impact of weather perception on cruise tourism service quality and satisfaction’, Australian Journal of Maritime & Ocean Affairs.
Porter, B, Orams, M & Lück, M 2018, ‘Sustainable Entrepreneurship Tourism: An alternative development approach for remote coastal communities where awareness of tourism is low’, Tourism Planning and Development, vol. 15(2), pp. 149-165.
Pagel, C, Scheer, M & Lück, M 2017, ‘A rejoinder on ‘Swim encounters with killer whales (Orcinus orca) off northern Norway: Interactive behaviours directed towards human divers and snorkelers obtained from opportunistic underwater video recordings’, Journal of Ecotourism, vol. 17(2), pp. 192-201.
Lück, M & Porter, B 2017, ‘Experiences on swim-with-dolphins tours: An importance-performance analysis of dolphin tour participants in Kaikoura, New Zealand’, Journal of Ecotourism.
Upton, A, Schänzel, H & Lück, M 2017, ‘Reflections of battlefield tourist experiences associated with Vietnam War sites: An analysis of travel blogs’, Journal of Heritage Tourism, vol. 13(3): 197210.
Robinson, P, Lück, M, & Smith, S 2013, Tourism. Wallingford: CAB International.
Lück, M 2009, Environmentalism and tourists' experiences on swim-with dolphins tours: A case study of New Zealand, VDM Verlag, Saarbrücken, Germany.
Lück, M & Kirstges, T 2003, Global ecotourism policies and case studies, Multilingual Matters Ltd.
Contact Professor Michael Lueck via email SoSSAdmin@usc.edu.au.