Derek is currently an Advance Queensland Fellow who joined USC in mid-2017 as a Senior Research Fellow. Derek is a molecular microbiologist and bioinformatician and is interested in antibiotic resistance, bacterial pathogenesis, molecular epidemiology, genomics and transcriptomics. Derek works closely with several clinically focused collaborators to bring next-generation sequencing technologies to the clinical realm, with a focus on improved treatment and diagnostics of antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections, particularly those with high morbidity and mortality.
- Simultaneous identification of Haemophilus influenzae and Haemophilus haemolyticus using real-time PCR. Price EP, Harris TM, Spargo J, Nosworthy E, Beissbarth J, Chang AB, Smith-Vaughan HC, Sarovich DS. 2017. Future Microbiol. 12:585-593.
- Loss of methyltransferase function and increased efflux activity leads to doxycycline resistance in Burkholderia pseudomallei. Webb JR, Price EP, Currie BJ, Sarovich DS. 2017. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 61(6): e00268-17.
- Phylogenomic analysis reveals an Asian origin for African Burkholderia pseudomallei and further supports melioidosis endemicity in Africa. Sarovich DS, Garin B, De Smet B, Kaestli M, Mayo M, Vandamme P, Jacobs J, Lompo P, Tahita MC, Tinto H, Djaomalaza I, Currie BJ, Price EP. 2016. mSphere. 1(2): e00089-15.
- Unprecedented melioidosis cases in northern Australia caused by an Asian Burkholderia pseudomallei strain identified by using large-scale comparative genomics. Price EP, Sarovich DS, Smith EJ, MacHunter B, Harrington G, Theobald V, Hall CM, Hornstra HM, McRobb E, Podin Y, Mayo M, Sahl JW, Wagner DM, Keim P, Kaestli M, Currie BJ. 2015. Appl Environ Microbiol. 82(3): 954-63.
- SPANDx: a genomics pipeline for comparative analysis of large haploid whole genome re-sequencing datasets. Sarovich DS, Price EP. 2014. BMC Res Notes. 7:618.
|Project name||Investigators||Funding body||Year(s)|
|More rapid and cost-effective diagnosis of antibiotic-resistant infections||Dr Derek Sarovich, Dr Erin Price, Prof Scott Bell, Prof Peter Timms, A/Prof Nicholas Gray||Advance Queensland||
|The Darwin Prospective Melioidosis Study: Years 27-31||Prof Bart Currie, Prof Paul Keim, Dr Erin Price, Dr Derek Sarovich, Dr Mirjam Kaestli, Mr Mark Mayo||NHMRC||2016-2020, A$1,200,000|