Dr Eleanor Horton is a registered nurse with many years teaching experience in the higher education sector in both undergraduate and postgraduate nursing programs in Queensland, New South Wales and New Zealand. Her management and clinical experience spans the public and private health and community sectors.
She has supervised Masters research student projects. Immediately prior to commencing at the University of the Sunshine Coast at the end of 2010 she established the nursing program for the Queensland University of Technology at Caboolture, was the Postgraduate Aged Care Coordinator for the Faculty of Health, and was also involved in the Queensland Dementia Training Centre.
During this time she was also actively involved in establishing a peer mentoring program for academics.
Her projects have included establishing the Caboolture Region Simulation Centre at the Caboolture campus of QUT with a Structural Diversity Grant from the Commonwealth Government.
A Commonwealth Government funded national research project ‘ASTIC students reasons to enter the Health workforce and Choice of Health Discipline, completed at the University of Newcastle.
A research grant with Redcliffe Hospital rehabilitation ward staff from ARNA to investigate the incidence of UTI in inpatients transferred from hospital wards and this research won an award.
Collaborating and Engaging with Bluecare and Health Workforce Australia Project Officers at the University to establish a Wound Solutions Clinic to provide interdisciplinary clinical placements for students. This model is a variation from standard university clinic model in that it is staffed and run by Bluecare on campus and provides student placements.
At present she is looking at the preparedness of students to meet industry needs and provide high quality care for consumers.
She is registered with the GYAN network which is a database of Australian Academics set up by the High Commission of India in Australia to support Indian University students and to provide a collaborative environment between universities in India and Australia.
- Australian College of Nursing
- Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia (Ex Board Member)
- International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation
- Leaning Australian Collaborative Education Network Sigma Theta Tau International
- Phi Delta-at-Large Chapter President Consumer Health Forum of Australia
- quality care, consumerism and advocacy
- workforce issues and planning
- cultural spaces and differences
- palliative care
- aspects of care for the stroke survivor
- simulation and technology use in education
- philosophy of education
- blended learning opportunities for students
- community consultation and engagement in health and education
- Care of the older person
- Practice Nursing Contexts
- Primary Healthcare
Eleanor Horton's areas of expertise include Nursing, Nursing education, Technology of nursing programs, philosophy of education in nursing.