Dr Helen Wilson has been a passionate counsellor, clinical supervisor and counsellor trainer for almost 30 years. She has been in private practice as a counsellor using Expressive Therapies since 1991. Helen’s professional focus has been compassionate support for human growth and development, in addition to the combination of care, integrity and pragmatism driven by expressive arts-based interventions. These have been the inspiration for Helen’s counselling practice and guided her in her PhD study of the experience of self-compassion in women survivors of breast cancer.
Dr Wilson is co-author of the only Australian text on Sandplay Therapy. She has also co-authored a text on the use of expressive therapies.She co-founded Expressive Therapies Australia and remains a senior trainer with ETA.
Dr Wilson has lectured in tertiary settings since 2007 in a number of Australian Universities at both lecturer and senior lecturer level. She joined USC as a Lecturer in Counselling in 2016 and has felt privileged to be able to teach creative counselling interventions within the Master of Counselling program at USC.
Awards / Fellowships
- Post-graduate Research Award, University of Notre Dame Australia
- Faculty Medal, University of New England
- Self-compassion in chronic illness and end of life
- Expressive Therapies with adults, adolescents & children
- Transpersonal Psychotherapy and spirituality in counselling
- Supervision and development of the professional counsellor
- Perinatal influences in the development of aggressive behaviour in childhood
- Counselling Skills
- Expressive Therapies
- Professional Development