Dr Rory Mulcahy joined the School of Business and Creative Industries at the University of the Sunshine Coast in the role of lecturer in Marketing (USC Fraser Coast) in February 2016.
His research interests include mobile apps, games and avatars used for social marketing purposes. Rory’s PhD focused on the use of mobile apps and mobile games to encourage behaviours including smoking cessation and rail safety. He adopts a mixed method approach to understanding how technology can be used to assist positive behaviours in society. Rory’s research has seen real world impact with his work used to guide the design and evaluation of the Reduce Your Juice mobile game, which was part of a A$6.5million project funded by the Federal Government. In recognition of his expertise in technology and behaviour change, Rory was asked to be a witness and provide expert insight for the recent Queensland Government Parliamentary Inquiry into personal health promotions using telephone and web-based technologies.
- Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy
- Australian Association of Social Marketing
- Vice Chancellor Performance Award 2015 (QUT)
- World Social Marketing Conference Best Student Paper Award 2015
Professional Social Media
Potential Research Projects for HDR and Honours students
- serious games for health and social behaviour
- digital technology and behaviour change
- health marketing
- social media and celebrity endorsement
- avatars and marketing
- social marketing
- digital marketing
- services marketing
- Introduction to Marketing
- Services Marketing
- Consumer Behaviour
- Marketing of Social Causes
Dr Rory Mulcahy's specialist areas of knowledge include the use of digital tools including games and social media for marketing and behaviour change.