Fast-track your career as a medical laboratory technician
This two-year program will prepare you to become an entry-level medical laboratory technician and gain employment in Australia’s expanding pathology industry, working in hospital and private pathology laboratories.
- * Duration note: Students commencing in Semester 2 will take 2.5 years, some semesters can only be taken part-time.
- Student profile
Explore the likely peer cohort in the student profile data
- Inherent Academic Requirements
Prospective students must consider the Inherent Academic Requirements before applying to study this program.
- Program coordinator
- Associate Professor Lin Fung
In this program, you’ll learn to perform medical laboratory tests on blood and other bodily fluids and tissues, which assist clinicians in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases and clinical disorders.
As a graduate of this program, you will receive full credit towards the Bachelor of Biomedical Science which you can complete with only one additional year of study, further expanding your career opportunities.
In this program you will:
- Conduct clinical investigations on human diseases
- Develop technical skills in physiology, pathophysiology, haematology, histology, biochemistry, clinical chemistry, blood banking, and medical microbiology
- Undertake industry placements
- Receive training by experienced medical laboratory scientists and technicians to handle human specimens
- Use modern laboratory equipment for pathology testing
- Before undertaking industry placement courses, students must obtain and provide evidence of vaccination of preventable diseases (eg hepatitis B immunisation) and a BlueCard.
- Medical laboratory technician positions in pathology services
- Laboratory technicians in scientific and educational technical services