Experience an Australian lifestyle and gain real-world experience during your studies
The Sports State Queensland program lets you build practical knowledge and skills in your area of study by working on world-class sporting events. It also gives you access to high performance athletes and facilities for research and learning purposes.
You don’t need to be an athlete to be part of Sports State Queensland. The program is open to students studying a range of degrees, including business, marketing, event management, sports science and more.
A partnership between USC, Study Sunshine Coast and Visit Sunshine Coast, this exciting new initiative is for international students who are looking to smash personal bests, cheer on their peers and gain real-world experience during their studies.
The Sports State Queensland program is a partnership between USC Sunshine Coast, Visit Sunshine Coast and Study Sunshine Coast and is co-funded with the support of the Queensland Government's International Education and Training Partnership Fund, managed by the International Education and Training Unit (IETU) within Trade and Investment Queensland.
The Sunshine Coast is home to a range of high profile international sporting events, giving you the opportunity to interact and connect with some of Australia’s best sporting and events companies.
- 7 Sunshine Coast Marathon
- IRONMAN 70.3 Sunshine Coast
- Mooloolaba Triathlon Festival
- Noosa Festival of Surfing
- Noosa Triathlon Multi Sport Festival
- Noosa Ultimate Sports Festival
- QLD Oztag State Cup
- QLD Surf Life Saving Championships
- Suncorp Super Netball League
- Ultraman Australia
- World Swim Series
The Sunshine Coast is one of Australia’s premier lifestyle destinations with stunning beaches, subtropical hinterland forest and year-round idyllic weather. Located an hour drive north of the Queensland state capital Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast is the third most populous area in Queensland, with approximately 300,000 residents.
A region rich in diversity and offering an abundance of outdoor activities, great dining options and world-class events, makes the Sunshine Coast an ideal place to experience an Australian way of life while focusing on your studies.
Study Sunshine Coast is a great source of information when choosing to study, live, work and play on Australia’s Sunshine Coast. To find out more visit the Study Sunshine Coast website.
Students who participate in the Sports State Queensland program have an opportunity to acquire and demonstrate knowledge and skills employers look for in graduates. Experience gained as part of this program can be recorded on your resume, and may result in work opportunities that can be added to your professional portfolio.
All eligibility requirements need to be meet before you can participate in the Sports State Queensland program:
- Over 18 years of age at commencement of Sports State Queensland experience
- Must be an international student enrolled full time in a USC Sunshine Coast program managed by USC and not a third-party provider
- Currently studying on an Australian Student visa with work rights
- Meet the minimum GPA 4.5 (or equivalent)
- Be eligible to receive a Blue Card
- Meet any other eligibility requirements of the event and/or sporting organisation
How to apply
To apply to the Sports State Queensland program, follow these steps:
- Complete the Sports State Queensland application form
- Submit the completed form together with a copy of your current resume to SportsStateQLD@usc.edu.au
Once we have assessed your application, you will be notified of the outcome. Please note, this is a quota based program.
For more information, please email: SportsStateQLD@usc.edu.au