This scholarship is currently closed. Scholarship applications for Semester 1 2022 will open on 1 September 2021.
To support education opportunities for women from regional areas enrolled to study in medical science or other health science areas.
In recognition of Dr June Canavan's younger years spent growing up in a regional town, the June Canavan Regional Scholarship supports higher education opportunities for those living in regional areas. This scholarship aims to encourage women, with leadership potential in a sport and health science discipline, to embrace the opportunity for higher education.
Two (2) new Scholarships, with a total value of up to $20,000, will be provided to the successful recipients for up to four (4) years of undergraduate study at the University of the Sunshine Coast. Each Scholarship is valued at $5,000 per annum (paid in 2 x $2,500 instalments after confirmation of enrolment each semester), for up to 8 semesters (for a 4 year undergraduate study program), total value up to $20,000.
Please note, should the recipient be undertaking a three (3) year undergraduate study program, the total value of the Scholarship will be $15,000.
* If a worthy recipient is unable to be identified in the Gympie or Fraser Coast Council areas then consideration will be given to students from other Queensland regional areas in the disciplines specified.
** Bonus ranks applied as a result of any scheme will NOT apply for the purposes of awarding scholarships
Scholarship payments will be made approximately three weeks after Census Date in each Semester, once enrolment has been confirmed.
This scholarship or bursary is offered on a yearly basis through funds provided by an external donor. If funding is not available in any given year, the scholarship or bursary will not be awarded.
- commencing full time female student in first undergraduate program
- preference will be given to a student enrolled in the Bachelor of Medical Science degree. If no eligible recipients are identified in the Bachelor of Medical Science degree, then students enrolled in the following bachelor level programs may be considered:
o Biomedical Science
o Nutrition & Dietetics
o Occupational Therapy
o Health Science
o Sport & Exercise Science
- living in or relocating from Gympie Council area, Fraser Coast Council area or another regional area to study at USC
- permanent resident of Australia, Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen or Permanent Australian Humanitarian Visa holder
- Selection criteria
- academic excellence, minimum ATAR 83 or equivalent
- leadership skills demonstrated through academic, extra-curricular, work or community activities
- financial need
- Eligible programs
- Bachelor of Medical Science degree or other selected programs
- Number available
Up to A$20,000 (A$5,000 per annum for a maximum of 8 semesters)