Applications will be accepted until 15th January 2021
Degraded urbanised landscapes come at a cost to species’ health and as such may present novel opportunities for new emerging infectious disease outbreaks.
This PhD project will use the eastern water dragon as a study system to explore the fitness cost of city life and link these findings to the emergence of a novel emerging infectious fungal disease (Nannizziopsis barbatae) which is threatening Australian reptiles. It will use a replicated design across an urban gradient and measure several phenotypes linked to immunocompetency, diet and microbiome. These will include telomere length, glucocorticoids, fatty acids and skin microbiomes composition. We expect this position to provide the candidate with training in fieldwork, molecular laboratory work and bioinformatics. We are a research lab that welcomes and cherish diversity and values team work.
Relevant literature linked to the study system:
Prior to submitting a full application, in the first instance, please submit an expression of interest and a curriculum vitae to Associate Professor Celine Frere firstname.lastname@example.org. Shortlisted applicants will then be asked to submit a full HDR program and scholarship application.
- • Be accepted into a Higher Degrees by Research program at the University of the Sunshine Coast
• Not have an equivalent qualification to the one for which they are currently applying
• Have a First-Class Bachelor Honours Degree, or show equivalent level of achievement with other academic qualifications or professional research experience
• Applications are welcome from both Domestic and International students
- Selection criteria
- • Undergraduate degree
• Research training degree (First Class Honours or equivalent)
• Research publications
• Professional research experience
- Eligible programs
- Number available
- Annual stipend equivalent to the Research Training Program. Stipend value in 2020 is $28,092.
- Annual tuition fees: $29,000
- Overseas student health cover (single cover): $3,420
- One project will receive $15,000 in project operating funds
- To apply:
Prior to submitting a full application, in the first instance, please submit an expression of interest and a curriculum vitae to Associate Professor Celine Frere email@example.com. Shortlisted applicants will then be asked to submit a full HDR program and scholarship application as per the instructions below.
- If you are not a current USC HDR student, complete an application for program admission following the directions on the HDR Applicants page
- Next, apply for the scholarship:
- Read the important information in the scholarship advertisement
- Follow the application instructions on the Applying for a HDR Scholarship webpage