Applications for this scholarship will be accepted by the Graduate Research School until 4pm 23 October 2020.
The aim of this project is to develop a practical framework for the analysis of sustainability in design and construction of airport pavements. In this regard, a rating tool will be developed for life cycle cost analysis based on triple bottom line (or other) approach, as well as whole of life risk. Therefore, energy requirement and greenhouse house gas emissions for production, processing, transportation and recycling of all the materials are estimated via development of some analytical models. Then, the models are used to propose various scenarios for optimum combinations of material type, source, and construction of pavements in terms of energy saving and less emissions. This rating system will be used to design and construct more energy-efficient airport pavements in Australia.
With the support of the SPARC, the Airport Pavement Research Program (APRP) offers a vacancy for PhD candidate in airport pavement engineering at School of Science Engineering of University of the Sunshine Coast. This position will be a full-time research student on a fixed term scholarship and will deal with the challenges of finding a balance between airport pavement material, design, construction and sustainability. This is a multi-disciplinary research task that may consist of laboratory work, field investigation, materials characterization and carbon footprint analysis. The intended outcome is the creation of a user-friendly decision making system that compares strategies for more sustainable airport pavement construction.
Applicants should have a masters in a pavement engineering-related topic and some experience with both analytical and experimental techniques. They must have sound verbal and written communication skills in English. They will contribute to airport projects and acquire the necessary skills in Australian and international practice codes. To be successful, the applicant must be self-managing and able to meet fixed deadlines within a complex environment.
For more information on the scholarship and project, contact
Dr Ali Jamshidi
Postdoctoral research fellow
School of Science and Engineering
Phone: +61 411 359 400
- Be accepted into a Higher Degrees by Research program at the University of the Sunshine Coast
- Not have an equivalent qualification to the one for which they are currently applying
- Have a First-Class Bachelor Honours Degree, or show equivalent level of achievement with other academic qualifications or professional research experience
- Applications are welcome from both Domestic and International students
- Selection criteria
- Undergraduate degree
- Research training degree (First Class Honours or equivalent)
- Research publications
- Professional research experience
- Background in pavement engineering, materials and technology related research
- Experience with, and understanding of contemporary airport pavement technology and
- Eligible programs
- Annual stipend: $35,000
- Annual operating funds: $5,000
- Annual Tuition Fees: $29,000
- Relocation expenses: $3,000
Overseas Student Health Cover (single cover): $3,420
- Complete an application for program admission following the directions on the HDR Applicants page
- Next, apply for the scholarship:
- Read the important information in the scholarship advertisement
- Follow the application instructions on the Applying for a USC Research Scholarship webpage
- Next, apply for the scholarship: