Applications are now closed for Semester 1, 2021.
Selections will be held in January/February with all applicants being notified of the outcome of their application by Friday, 26 February 2021.
The David Norris Bursary will be awarded to a full or part-time student enrolled in the High-Performance Student Athlete (HPSA) program at USC. The bursary will offer financial assistance to encourage students with academic potential and financial need to complete tertiary education to achieve their academic, sporting and career goals.
Dr Rae Norris has established this bursary in memory of her late father, David Norris. Mr Norris was an Australian springboard diving champion, representing the nation at the Commonwealth Games (then the Empire Games) in 1934 and selected in the 1948 Olympic team. World War II interrupted his sporting career and during his service Mr Norris was captured and held as a prisoner of war. Despite his traumatic war experience and never having the opportunity to obtain formal tertiary qualifications, Mr Norris went on to establish a distinguished career. He made a significant early contribution to solar energy research through his work with the CSIRO, the Snowy Mountains Authority and stints in the Antarctic and Niger in French West Africa with the United Nations. Mr Norris passed away at the young age of 52 and is remembered for his impressive sporting and career achievements.
Scholarship payments will be made approximately three weeks after Census Date of the relevant semester, once enrolment has been confirmed.
Please Note: This bursary is offered on a yearly basis through funds provided by an external donor. If funding is not available in any given year, the bursary will not be awarded.
- USC High Performance Student Athlete (including para-athletes)
- full-time or part-time undergraduate student enrolled at any USC campus
- enrolled in a Bachelor of Environmental Management, Bachelor of Environmental Science, Bachelor of Engineering (Civil)/Bachelor of Environmental Science, Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Environmental Management, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science or Bachelor of Sport Studies
- Commencing second or third year of study having successfully completed 96 units of the degree
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) 5.0
- permanent resident of Australia, Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen or Permanent Australian Humanitarian Visa Holder
- Selection criteria
- financial need
- academic merit
- leadership skills demonstrated through academic, extra-curricular or community involvement
- Eligible programs
- Bachelor of Environmental Management, Bachelor of Environmental Science, Bachelor of Engineering (Civil)/Bachelor of Environmental Science, Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Environmental Management, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science or Bachelor of Sport Studies
- Number available