OPENS IN 2020
Stage One of USC Moreton Bay is an innovative 16,000-square metre facility designed to deliver best practice in teaching and learning, both in 2020 and well into the future.
The foundation facility includes:
- a 400-seat lecture theatre for teaching and community events
- $10 million worth of state-of-the-art technology, including simulation facilities, engineering facilities, and a makerspace
- a core commitment to renewable energy
The foundation facility is being built by Hansen Yuncken, with practical completion expected in early 2020.
USC is pleased to announce that Hansen Yuncken has been appointed to build the Stage One foundation facility at USC Moreton Bay.
Established in 1918, Hansen Yuncken is a national construction company with a proven track record of delivering more than $2.5 billion in high-quality education facilities for universities, governments and schools, including the Education precinct building at QUT Kelvin Grove, James Cook University’s Cairns Institute, and the University of South Australia’s Health Innovation Building.
Hansen Yuncken is also a leader in sustainable design and construction, and is committed to working on projects that prioritise people, places and the environment. Their Council House 2 project in Melbourne was the first building of its kind to achieve a 6-Star Green Star Design and As Built rating.
USC looks forward to working with Hansen Yuncken to build a flexible, innovative and welcoming facility that delivers best practice in teaching and learning in 2020, and well into the future.
Stage Two – Moreton Bay’s first living lab
What's a living lab? It's a place for students and the local community to test, learn, research and experiment – to be both the scientist and the subject. In USC Moreton Bay's living lab, students and residents will immerse themselves in an ever-expanding pool of ideas and knowledge.
The wider university precinct
USC Moreton Bay will be the anchor of The Mill at Moreton Bay, a vibrant civic, cultural and business precinct planned by Moreton Bay Regional Council.
Moreton Bay Regional Council is identifying complementary uses for future development on surrounding land, with overall redevelopment expected to be completed by 2036. For more information visit The Mill at Moreton Bay.
Through the vision and commitment of the Moreton Bay Regional Council and its innovative partnership approach, and through the invaluable support of the Federal Government in providing a concessional loan for the foundation building plus funding for additional student places, USC will develop a full-scale campus at Petrie, to offer world-class study opportunities for residents in the region.
In an increasingly knowledge-driven world, our USC Moreton Bay graduates and researchers will provide the skills, imagination and ambition needed to support new industries, drive local prosperity and build the strong, sustainable regional communities of the future.
For many tens of thousands of years, the land that USC Moreton Bay will be built on has been home to a number of Aboriginal clans belonging to the Turrbal, Kabi (Kabi Kabi or Gubbi Gubbi) and Waka (Waka Waka) language groups.
There were several ceremonial bora rings in the area, including ‘Nindur-ngineddo’ (leech dreaming place) located near the present-day Petrie roundabout, and a ‘Mandin’ (or Mundin) fishing hole near the North Coast Railway Bridge.
Permanent European arrival in the region commenced in 1824 with the establishment of a convict settlement of 14 soldiers and 30 convicts who sailed from Sydney. After the convict settlement closed in 1842, free settlement of the Pine Rivers area began.
It was an elder of the Turrbal People, Dalaipi, who encouraged Tom Petrie to establish his cattle run, Murrumba, in the North Pine area in 1859. Petrie and his descendants went on to make an enormous impact upon the history of the area, and their name lives on in the places that surround this site.
With the discovery of gold at Gympie in 1867, the Cobb and Co. coach company used Petrie as the location for the first change of horses after leaving Brisbane. The coach stop became an important centre in the district, and the beginning of a township sprang up around it.
Almost 150 years later, as the area became steadily more urbanised, the Australian Paper Manufacturers (APM)’s Petrie Mill commenced manufacturing operations on this site. The largest industrial undertaking in southern Queensland at the time, the arrival of the Mill in 1957 stimulated the area’s economy and caused huge population growth surge in what had been a small farming town.
After the Mill closed in 2013, Moreton Bay Regional Council purchased the site with the goal of transforming the area into a world-class innovation and knowledge precinct, generating jobs and providing tertiary education for local residents.
USC became The Mill at Moreton Bay’s Anchor Education Partner in late 2015, and construction of the campus commenced in June 2018.
Image: Lyndon DAVIS Weeyal (rainmaker) 2016. Synthetic polymer paint on canvas. 90 x 120cm. USC Art Collection. Acquired 2016. Commissioned to celebrate the USC Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP).