Dr Erica Mealy is driven to inspire the next generation of innovators and professionals. Calling herself a ‘Technology and Design Evangelist’, Dr Mealy is an accomplished speaker, regularly speaking at events and forums, sharing her passion for effective and affective technology design and development. Erica has been writing code for over 20 years and has experience in areas as diverse as sports analysis, train control, safety-critical software, embedded electronics, databases and the web. Erica’s strong industrial experience, mixed with a natural talent for teaching has lead to awards, commendations and a network of alumni and colleagues at leading software development companies across south-east Queensland and the world.
Erica’s research interests fall into the broad theme of applied user-centered design and software development. Current projects relate to interface and systems design for the Australia Zoo Wildlife Hospital, a user-centered design approach to Entrepreneurship on the Sunshine Coast, machine learning, smart cities, wearable technologies, and software engineering support tool design.
Erica is also an exhibited visual artist with collaborative works centred on the intersection of art, science, technology and design which have been exhibited both domestically and internationally.
- Australian Computer Society, Women in Technology (ACS WIT)
- Commendation for Vice-Chancellor and President's Award for Excellence in Learning and Teaching 2019
- Google CS4HS grant, 2015
- Digital Careers Australia Small Grants program, 2015
- 2015 Women in Technology Rising Star award finalist
- QUT Vice-Chancellor's Performance award, 2014
Potential Research Projects for HDR and Honours Students
- Managing data for Smart Cities
- Sensor data fusion
- Wearable technology
- Appropriate Automation and Machine Learning
- Smart Cities
- Internet of Things
- Software Development Tools
- Wearable Technology
- Computer Science Education
- Computer Science
- Digital Ethics
- Data Structure and Algorithms
- Internet of Things
- User-Centered Design
Dr Erica Mealy's specialist areas include automation, user design, smart cities and the internet of things, diversity in computer science and ICT, and software development in the fields of sports analysis, safety-critical, embedded control & electronics, databases and the web.