Levi is a Lecturer in World Languages and has been involved in language education across the secondary and tertiary sectors for more than 18 years in both Australia and Japan. His PhD thesis won the 2021 Michael Clyne Prize for the best thesis in immigrant bilingualism and language contact, awarded jointly by the Australian Linguistic Society and the Applied Linguistics Association of Australia. Levi’s research explores the intersections between academic mobility, language learning and technology use. He is also passionate about innovating language education to better reflect the needs of students in a post-COVID-19 world.
- Australian Association of Applied Linguists (AALA)
- Japanese Studies Association of Australia (JSAA)
- Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA)
- Association for Language Awareness (ALA)
Awards and fellowships
- 2021: Michael Clyne Prize for best postgraduate research thesis in the area of immigrant bilingualism and language contact
- 2019: Dean's Sessional Commendation for outstanding contribution to teaching (Monash University)
- 2017-2020: RTP Scholarship (Monash University)
- 2020: Postgraduate Publication Award (Monash University)
Professional Social Media
Potential research projects for HDR and Honours students:
- Language learning during and beyond study abroad
- Social media and language learning
- Study Abroad
- Applied Linguistics
- Japanese Studies
Dr Durbidge's specialist teaching areas of knowledge include Japanese, languages and linguistics.
- Languages and Linguistics
Dr Durbidge's specialist areas of knowledge include Japanese, languages and linguistics.