Dr Matthew Mason is a lecturer in Nursing, the Academic Lead for Work Integrated Learning in UniSC’s School of Health, and a researcher with the Australian Centre for Pacific Islands Research. As an early-career researcher he has a growing teaching and research agenda across infection prevention and control in resource challenged areas. His research is grounded in the provision of accessible and safe services for communities and the health staff that serve them. Dr Mason has an extensive professional network across the Western Pacific Region and works collaboratively to improve health care outcomes.
Matt has extensive clinical experience including Trauma ICU, Emergency, Hyperbaric Medicine, Community Nursing included men’s and youth health, and Remote Area Nursing.
Dr Mason’s interests are in infection prevention, infectious diseases, emergency management and clinical governance. He has expert level credentials with the Australasian College for Infection Prevention and Control, is a Technical Adviser to the WHO Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network, an Executive Member (IPC lead) of the Pacific Region Infectious Disease Association and is Co-Director of the Collaborative for the Advancement of Infection Prevention and Control that supports IPC activities across the Western Pacific.
- Vice-Chancellor & President's Diversity and Inclusion Award 2019 - University of the Sunshine Coast
- Infection Prevention and Control
- Vascular Access
- Pop Culture Pedagogy
- Infectious Diseases
- Emerging and Re-emerging Infectious Diseases
- Emergency Management
- Health Curriculum and Pedagogy
- Health, Law and Ethics
- Health, Culture and Society
- Chen, Y., Prichard, R., Mason, M. et al. (2023) Barriers and facilitators to COVID-19 vaccine uptake among Australian health professional students during the pandemic: a nationwide study, Journal of Public Health Policy. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41271-023-00422-9
- Adams, F., Zimmerman, P., Sparke, V., & Mason, M. (2023) Towards a framework for a collaborative support model to assist infection prevention and control programmes in low- and middle-income countries: a scoping review. International Journal of Infection Control, 19. https://doi.org/10.3396/ijic.v19.21851
- Hanson, J., Walsh, S., Mason, M., Wadsworth, D., Framp, A. & Watson, K. (2020) ‘Speaking up for safety’: A graded assertiveness intervention for first year nursing students in preparation for clinical placement: Thematic analysis, Nurse Education Today, 84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2019.104252