Nguyen is teaching and coordinating Genetics and Advanced Genetics courses at USC. He has successfully completed the Foundations of University Teaching and is a Higher Education Academy (HEA) Fellow.
His research in aquaculture genetics has been internationally recognised and classified at a Distinctive Competency level by SciVal. He is an Associate Editor of five international journals: Frontiers in Genetics, Frontiers in Veterinary Science, BMC Genetics, Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, Asian Fishery Science Journal and International Sci. He is also a regular reviewer for 30 journals in the field, including Nature Reviews Genetics.
Nguyen is passionate about teaching and learning Genetics and look forward to opportunities to collaborate with students and colleagues to address emerging challenges in genetic and genomic research.
Potential Research Projects for HDR and Honours Students
- Genetic improvement programs for agricultural species
- Quantitative genetic analysis of new traits of economically important species
- Genotype (or gene) by environment interaction for complex traits
- Genome-wide association studies in aquatic animal species
- Prediction of phenotypes using genome information
- Genetics of behavioural traits in farmed animals
- Genetics and genomics of disease resistance
- Gene expression and regulation
- Population genomics and evolution of aquatic animal species
- New methods to integrate multi-omic data in genetic improvement programs for aquaculture species
- Transgenerational epigenetic inheritance in model organisms
Current Research Grants
|Commercial development of rock lobster culture systems||A/Prof Greg Smith et al. (University of Tasmania), Prof Wayne Knibb (USC), Nguyen Nguyen (USC)||Australian Research Council (AU$5 million)||2014-2019|
|Developing technologies for giant grouper aquaculture||Prof Abigail Elizur, Dr Josephine Nocillado, Prof Wayne Knibb and Dr Nguyen Nguyen (USC)||Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR), AU$ 7 million||2013-2019|
|Kingfish genetics: population genetics and genetic planning||Dr Nguyen Nguyen and Prof Wayne Knibb||Seafood CRC and Fishery Research and Development Council (FRDC), AU$76,900||2016-2017|
|Improving banana yield and productivity in Northern Australia||Prof Steven Underhill (Griff), Dr Yuchan Zhou and Dr Nguyen Nguyen (USC), Terragen and Industry partners||Cooperative Research Centre for Developing Northern Australia (AU$1,003,155)||2017-2020|
- Genetics and genomics
- Biology of aquatic animal species
- DNA markers, gene mapping and gene function
- Population and Evolutionary Genetics/Genomics
- Genetic epidemiology and disease resistance of aquaculture species
- Beyond the genome: Cytoplasmic inheritance, including epigenetics
- Applied statistics and bioinformatics to genetic improvement
Dr Nguyen's specialist area of knowledge include quantitative genetics, genomics, statistical genetics, genetic improvement for agricultural species, gene mapping, DNA markers, population genetics/genomics and evolution, genetic epidemeology and genomics of complex diseases.