Emeritus Professor (February 2021)
Professor Phil Graham was named Emeritus Professor in February 2021 in recognition of his sustained and distinguished service to USC as Professor and Head of School, Creative Industries, his significant contributions to the study and practice of Creative Industries at USC and to the University’s development as an engine for capacity building and cultural change in regional Australia.
Professor Philip Graham was appointed Head of School, Creative Industries at USC in July 2017 and his distinguished service is marked by his transformative and inspirational academic leadership across the three domains of teaching, research and engagement. A highly regarded educator, researcher and industry practitioner, Professor Graham has made significant contributions to the study and practice of Creative Industries at USC and to the University’s development as an engine for capacity building and cultural change in regional Australia.
Key Achievements include:
- Overseen dynamic change of the programs across the School of Creative Industries including the introduction of a new innovative music degree and new minor in fashion studies.
- He worked with USC academics to envisage and produce the largest core course in the School in 2019: CMN101 Introduction to Creative Entrepreneurship.
- Streamlined program offerings in the School, ensuring student’s first-year learning is grounded in strong theoretical knowledge and understanding of the significance of enterprise in their disciplines.
- Developed valuable relationships between USC and leaders in creative industries in Australia and internationally.
- Fostered a strong sense of community in the School for both undergraduate and postgraduate students, supporting creative industries research seminars and social events, and personally contributing to postgraduate professional development sessions.
- Overseen the development of a productive partnership with NightQuarter which is the location of the School’s 2020 student showcase ‘Reconnect Festival’. This will provide students with community and industry facing outcomes situated in a large scale venue with a prominent regional industry partner.
- Awarded multiple, individual ARC grants; published over 100 refereed outputs including four books, along with numerous ERA ranked creative works