Composition and Terms of Reference
This Committee reports to the Academic Board.
Members ex officio (full rights)
- Chairperson as nominated by the Chairperson of the Academic Board
- Deputy Chairperson as nominated by the Chairperson of the Academic Board
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Innovation)
- Chairperson, Research Degrees Committee
- Dean Indigenous Education and Engagement
Appointed members (full rights)
- Two senior academic staff active in research from schools identified and nominated by the Heads of Schools and appointed by the Chairperson of the Committee
- Two Directors or delegates of University Research Centres or Institutes, identified by an expression of interest and appointed by the Chairperson of the Committee
- One early career researcher, identified by expression of interest and appointed by the Chairperson of the Committee
- Two higher degree by research candidates, identified by expression of interest and appointed by the Chairperson of the Committee
- Up to two additional members who are active in research co-opted by the Chairperson of the Committee for a specified term
- One research active academic staff member from the northern region elected by the staff (Gympie and Fraser Coast)
- One research active academic staff member from the southern region elected by the staff (Moreton Bay, Caboolture and Southbank)
- One research active academic staff members from the central region, elected by the staff
Invited to attend as appropriate (having participatory, but not voting rights)
- Pro Vice-Chancellors and Directors as required
- Any visitors with the approval of the Chairperson
In attendance (having participatory, but not voting rights)
- Chair, Human Research Ethics Committee
- Chair, Animal Research Ethics Committee
- Director, Office of Research
- Director, Information Services
- Associate Director (Research Ethics, Integrity and Compliance), Office of Research
Observers (no rights)
- Any visitor with the approval of the Chairperson
Terms of Reference
- Research Committee provides advice and recommendations to Academic Board on all matters related to research at the University.
- To advise, and to make recommendations on strategic plans associated with research and the professional development of research staff at the University.
- To consider and recommend areas of research activity for support including the establishment of research centres or institutes, along with School-based research at the University.
- To advise on, and recommend, strategies to enhance the research skills and research performance of academic staff.
- To review and revise as well as introduce policies relating to changes in Government directions and to ensure that the suite of research policies in the University’s repository of policies are relevant to contemporary practice in the sector, with a particular emphasis on ensuring compliance to State and Federal regulatory frameworks including the Higher Education Standards.
- To monitor and review the performance of research centres, institutes and Schools across the University.
- To set, monitor and report on institutional benchmarks for research performance at the University.
- To monitor and report on financial investments into key research initiatives at the University.
Tenure and Frequency of Meetings
There will be at least four meetings of the Committee each year.
Elected academic staff members will serve for a period of two years.
Appointed staff members will serve for a period of two years.
The higher degree by research candidates will serve for a period of one year, with a maximum of two consecutive terms of office.
Last approved Academic Board: 29 October 2019, effective 1 January 2020.