The Committee reports to the Academic Board.
Members (full rights)
- Chairperson as appointed by the Chairperson of the Academic Board
- Deputy Chairperson as appointed by the Chairperson of the Academic Board
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Students)
- An academic staff member active in higher degree by research coordination from each School
- Two higher degree by research candidates, identified by expression of interest and appointed by the Chairperson
- Up to five additional members co-opted by the Chairperson for a specified term
Invited to attend as appropriate (having participatory, but not voting rights)
- Pro Vice-Chancellors and Directors as required
- Chairperson, Research Committee
- Any visitors with the approval of the Chairperson
In attendance (having participatory, but not voting, rights)
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Innovation)
- Team Leader, Graduate Research Student Management, Office of Research
- Minute Secretary
Observers (no rights)
- Any person with the approval of the Chairperson
Terms of reference
- In accordance with the various policies for higher degrees by research:
- to monitor admissions of candidates and review candidates' progress and make decisions related to candidature and examinations for higher degrees by research
- to recommend to the Academic Board the admission of candidates to the award of a higher degree by research
- To make recommendations to the Academic Board on proposals for the accreditation of all higher degree by research programs, major changes to higher degree by research programs, and discontinuation of higher degree by research programs in accordance with the Higher Degree by Research Accreditation – Academic Policy and associated procedures.
- To advise the Academic Board and Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) on strategic plans associated with research training.
- To monitor, and provide advice to the Academic Board on the quality of higher degree by research programs.
- To liaise with and provide advice to the Research Committee on matters pertaining to higher degree by research programs.
- To provide advice to the Academic Board on policies for higher degrees by research.
Tenure and frequency of meetings
- There will be at least four meetings of the Committee each year.
- All members will be members for the period during which they are the incumbent of a specified position which provides membership of the Committee or, in the case of a nominee appointed by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Innovation) for a period up to two years.
- The student member will serve for a period of one year, with a maximum of two consecutive terms of office.
- The Committee will designate an alternate member for each substantive member of the Committee who may be co-opted by the Chairperson for a specific meeting if required to reach a quorum.
Last revised: 31 May 2019