Accommodation and housing

Accessibility links

Accommodation and housing


There are a variety of accommodation options close to the Sippy Downs campus and USC SouthBank to suit any budget and length of stay.

Sippy Downs

Three privately–owned, fully–furnished student accommodation complexes are conveniently located next to the University. UniCentral, Varsity Apartments and The Village are all linked by pathway to the campus, which is an easy three–minute walk away.

Public transport and the local shopping centre are within easy reach.

The complexes are:


The complex has:

  • a 6–lane, 25–metre lap pool
  • a floodlit tennis court / basketball court
  • an outdoor recreational area and barbecues
  • a recreational pavilion with pool tables, table tennis, cable TV, DVD and stereo, and other common room facilities
  • secure gated complex with on-site managers and night security

Apartments have:

  • a self contained kitchen and laundry
  • furnishings
  • a shared living room
  • four private single bedrooms (mostly)

Bedrooms have:

  • a private bathroom and toilet
  • an internet connection facility
  • a free intranet to the University
  • a telephone
  • a desk and chair
  • a double bed
  • a free intercom system

Contact UniCentral
Tel: +61 7 5373 0000
Visit the UniCentral website

Varsity Apartments

The complex has:

  • a freeform resort swimming pool with spa and lap pool
  • a tennis court / basketball court
  • a gym
  • a beach volleyball court
  • four barbecue areas
  • coin operated laundry and linen hire
  • coin operated drink machines
  • on-site managers and night security

Apartments have:

  • a self contained kitchen
  • furnishings
  • a shared living room with television
  • four private single bedrooms

Bedrooms have:

  • a private bathroom and toilet
  • an internet connection facility
  • a telephone
  • a desk and chair
  • a double bed

Contact Varsity Apartments
Tel: +61 7 5450 2000
Visit the Varsity Apartments website

The Village

The complex has:

  • 3 pools including a 4–lane 25–metre lap pool
  • a flood–lit tennis court / basketball court
  • outdoor recreational areas and barbecues
  • secure gated complex with on–site managers and night security

Apartments have:

  • a self contained kitchen and laundry
  • furnishings
  • a shared living room
  • two and three bedroom share villas, some with private garages attached

Bedrooms have:

  • an internet connection facility
  • a telephone
  • a desk and chair
  • a double bed, some with private bathroom
  • a free intercom system

The Village
Tel: +61 7 5430 2500
Visit The Village's website


There are privately-owned student accommodation providers in Brisbane who mainly offer accommodation to students in shared apartment complexes. The closest of these to the South Bank precinct are:

If you would like to rent your own house, apartment, townhouse or flat, real estate agents and private providers advertise on the following websites:

Sippy Downs

The USC accommodation and amenities booklet provides information on:

  • Student residences / accommodation
  • Hotels, motels and apartments
  • Backpackers / hostels
  • Caravan / cabin parks
  • Bed and Breakfasts
  • Homestay
  • USC Student Guild — 'Off campus accommodation register'
  • Online accommodation reservation services
  • House / unit rentals — Real estate agents
  • House / unit rentals — online
  • Share houses — online

Located just over one kilometre away, Chancellor Park Marketplace has a supermarket, newsagency, bank, post office, medical centre, pharmacy, travel agent, bakery, retail and food outlets and a tavern. The accommodation and amenities booklet also provides a full directory of amenities located a short distance from the Sippy Downs campus.

It is essential for international students to organise either short or long-term accommodation before arriving on the Sunshine Coast so you know you have somewhere to stay when you get here. Use this guide to help choose and book your accommodation. There are many other accommodation options available on the Sunshine Coast but this will give you some options to start with and offer some context on which to base your own broader search. Searching for the right place could take a couple of weeks, so it is recommended that you book temporary accommodation before arriving.

Due to the University's close proximity to a number of towns, conveniently located off-campus accommodation is easy to find, either through local real estate agents and newspapers or our Off-Campus Accommodation Register. You can find share accommodation or rent a unit or house with friends. Visit the USC Student Guild at the Uni Club located next to the oval and car park 5, or via mail

Coast2Bay Housing Group have a number of NRAS properties coming up in the near future in Bli Bli, Nambour, Woombye, Beerwah, Landsborough, Maroochydore, Sippy Downs, Peregian Springs and Taigum. Properties in Gympie are available now.

NRAS homes are 1, 2 and 3 bedroom units or houses (depending on availability) under the National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) property. You must have an NRAS Registration Number before applying for a property. NRAS property applications are only applicable to Australian Citizens.

Please visit the Department of Housing and Public Works. For more information ring NRAS. Tel: 61 7 5451 2900.

South Bank

If you would like to rent a room in a shared house, the following resources may be useful:

There are plenty of hostels, backpackers and other short-term accommodation providers available in Brisbane. These may be suitable while you are sourcing long-term accommodation.

Brisbane has a good public transport system, but also over 185 suburbs – make sure you consider a location that has good public transport links to the South Bank precinct.

The Translink journey planner can help you plan how you will get from any potential accommodation to the South Bank education precinct.


Off campus accommodation

Looking for a rental property? For Gympie options, real estate agents and private providers advertise on the following websites:

If you would like to rent a room in a shared house, the following resources may be useful:


Homestay is recommended for English Language Program students.

Living with an Australian family gives you the opportunity to experience the Australian culture and speak English on a daily basis.

Standards-based Homestay is an option for all students and may be particularly appealing to those students coming to Australia for the first time.

The University of the Sunshine Coast has teamed up with the Australian Homestay Network (AHN) to give international students the opportunity to be hosted by a specially trained AHN homestay host for their introduction to accommodation and living in Australia.

Please refer to the Homestay website for full details including costs and the application process.

Accommodation for students with a disability

Students with a disability can contact the disability adviser on campus or email for information about accessible accommodation.

Issues and advice

Tenancy and Welfare Services

The Tenancy and Welfare Officer at Student Wellbeing can assist you to understand your rights and responsibilities under the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act (2008). They can also provide information, resources, advice and referral in areas such as:

  • Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) legislation – the 'RTA' is the state government statutory body for Queensland's residential rental sector
  • Finding suitable accommodation
  • Successful share house living
  • Budgeting
  • Dispute resolution
  • Free legal services
  • Emergency and/or crisis accommodation and financial assistance

To book an appointment with the Tenancy and Welfare Officer contact Student Wellbeing on + 61 7 5430 1226 or email

Community welfare centres

Maroochydore Community Welfare Centre
Tel: 07 5443 7775

Noosa Community Welfare Centre
Tel: 07 5449 8653

Caboolture Community Welfare Centre
Tel: 07 5499 0753

Nambour Community Centre
Tel: 07 5441 4724

Caloundra Community Centre
Tel: 07 5491 4000

Self-help and multimedia resources

The links below cover some of the main questions and concerns students encounter in rental accommodation settings:

Useful Links
Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA)

The Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) looks after the laws for renting a place to live in Queensland (Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008). The law gives tenants, landlords and agents an understanding of their rights and responsibilities when renting.

The RTA has all the forms you will need when renting in Queensland as well as helpful information and resources.

To download tenancy forms or for more information call 1300 366 311 or visit

Tenants Queensland

Tenants Queensland is a specialist state wide community legal service for tenancy law matters and provides free tenancy law advice service for residential tenants.

9am–1230pm Monday, Wednesday and Thursday; 330–7pm Tuesday and Wednesday evenings 1300 744 263.

National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS)

The National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) aims to reduce rental costs for low to medium income households and increase the number of more affordable rental houses. The scheme provides eligible individuals and families NRAS dwellings at a discounted rate whilst offering investors a tax-free investment option that increases the supply of affordable housing in Australia by up to 50,000 dwellings.

Coast2Bay Housing Group are the approved NRAS Tenancy Managers on the Sunshine Coast.

Emergency Accommodation and Assistance

Queensland Government Homes and Housing provide timely housing assistance that is responsive to people with a very high, high or urgent need for housing who meet the eligibility criteria. This service can help connect and improve the pathways between the homelessness and social housing sectors. The service encompasses crisis accommodation advice, bond loans, and rental grants alongside information about transitional housing arrangements, facilitated by the Community Rent Scheme, which enables intensively managed and closely monitored housing assistance based on assessed need.

The Housing Assist Qld app is also available on Apple, Android and Windows platforms as a free download to apply for and check the status of your bond loans and grants:

New students to the region

The following websites can also assist domestic and international students new to the region:

More information

Please note: The University of the Sunshine Coast does not screen information, nor act as an agent in the provision of accommodation information. It is your responsibility to determine whether the housing arrangements are suitable. Any person utilising third party information, such as the student accommodation provider information, is advised to read USC's Disclaimer.

Back to top

Pro tip: To search, just start typing - at any time, on any page.

Searching {{ model.SearchType }} for returned more than {{ model.MaxResults }} results.
The top {{ model.MaxResults }} of {{ model.TotalItems }} are shown below.

Searching {{ model.SearchType }} for returned {{ model.TotalItems }} results.

Searching {{ model.SearchType }} for returned no results.