Accommodation and housing | UniSC | University of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

Accessibility links

Accommodation and housing

There are a variety of accommodation options close to UniSC's campuses whether you want to live in a student village, share a house or find a place of your own.

Please note: The University of the Sunshine Coast does not provide student accommodation or screen information, nor does it act as an agent in the provision of accommodation information. It is your responsibility to determine whether the housing arrangements are suitable. Any person utilising third party information, such as the student accommodation provider information, is advised to read UniSC's Disclaimer.

Know your rights and responsibilities - go to the RTA website for more information on renting.

If you would like to rent your own house, apartment, townhouse or flat, or rent a room in a shared house, search on real estate websites or flatmate listings for rental options near your campus.

You may find the following websites useful to search for rental accommodation or a room in a share house. It is your responsibility to determine whether the housing arrangements are suitable: 

It is essential for international students to organise either short or long-term accommodation before arriving in Australia so you know you have somewhere to stay when you get here. Searching for the right place could take a couple of weeks, so it is recommended that you book temporary accommodation before arriving.

UniSC Sunshine Coast

Students have many accommodation options to choose from at UniSC Sunshine Coast. There are a number of student accommodation complexes within walking distance to the campus.

If you choose to live further afield, travel to UniSC Sunshine Coast is easy with its transit centre on campus - a large interchange for buses servicing the Sunshine Coast with connections to Queensland Rail.

You’ll find accommodation to suit your needs on the websites listed above.

International students seeking accommodation on the Sunshine Coast can email Study Sunshine Coast for support and advice:

UniSC Moreton Bay

UniSC Moreton Bay campus is located right next to the Petrie train station including services from Brisbane City and Caboolture.

If you need help planning how you will get to UniSC Moreton Bay (and where you might live) – the Translink journey planner is a useful tool.

Once you decide where it suits you best to live, you’ll be able to search for accommodation options on the websites listed above.

UniSC Fraser Coast

Also, check the on-campus notice boards located in A-Building and the Library where members of the public post accommodation notices for students.

UniSC Gympie

Check the on-campus whiteboard located on the ground floor common area for accommodation notices from real estate agents and/or members of the public.


Living with an Australian family gives you the opportunity to experience the Australian culture and speak English on a daily basis. This accommodation option may be particularly appealing to those students coming to Australia for the first time or those enrolling in USC's English Language Program.

If you would like to choose this option, search for homestay providers and listings online. One private, standards-based homestay provider is the Australian Homestay Network (AHN), which gives international students the opportunity to be hosted by a specially trained AHN homestay host for their introduction to accommodation and living in Australia. Please refer to the AHN website for full details including costs and the application process.

Tenancy and Welfare Services

The Welfare and Advocacy Officer at the Student Guild can assist you to understand your rights and responsibilities under the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act (2008). They can also provide information, resources, advice and referral in areas such as:

  • Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) legislation – the 'RTA' is the state government statutory body for Queensland's residential rental sector
  • Budgeting
  • Dispute resolution
  • Referral to free legal services
  • Referral to Emergency and/or crisis accommodation only

To book an appointment with the Welfare and Advocacy Officer email or call 5456 3742.

Community welfare centres

Brisbane Community Welfare Centre (Community Friends - West End)
Tel: 0418 754 900

Caboolture Community Care
Tel: (07) 5495 6400

Caloundra Community Centre
Tel: 07 5491 4000

Gympie Community Place
Tel: (07) 5482 1147

Hervey Bay Neighbourhood Centre
Tel: 07 4194 3000

Maroochy Neighbourhood Centre
Tel: (07) 5443 6696

Nambour Community Centre
Tel: 07 5441 4724

The links below cover some of the main questions and concerns students encounter in rental accommodation settings:

Useful Links
Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA)

The Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) looks after the laws for renting a place to live in Queensland (Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008). The law gives tenants, landlords and agents an understanding of their rights and responsibilities when renting.

The RTA has all the forms you will need when renting in Queensland as well as helpful information and resources.

To download tenancy forms or for more information call 1300 366 311 or visit the RTA website.

Tenants Queensland

Tenants Queensland is a specialist state wide community legal service for tenancy law matters and provides free tenancy law advice service for residential tenants.

9am–1230pm Monday, Wednesday and Thursday; 330–7pm Tuesday and Wednesday evenings 1300 744 263.

National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS)

The National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) aims to reduce rental costs for low to medium income households and increase the number of more affordable rental houses. The scheme provides eligible individuals and families NRAS dwellings at a discounted rate whilst offering investors a tax-free investment option that increases the supply of affordable housing in Australia by up to 50,000 dwellings.

Coast2Bay Housing Group are the approved NRAS Tenancy Managers on the Sunshine Coast. They have a number of NRAS properties coming up in the near future in Bli Bli, Nambour, Woombye, Beerwah, Landsborough, Maroochydore, Sippy Downs, Peregian Springs and Taigum. Properties in Gympie are available now.

NRAS homes are 1, 2 and 3 bedroom units or houses (depending on availability) under the NRAS property. You must have an NRAS Registration Number before applying for a property. NRAS property applications are only applicable to Australian Citizens.

Please visit the Department of Housing and Public Works. For more information ring NRAS. Tel: 61 7 5451 2900.

Emergency Accommodation and Assistance

Queensland Government Homes and Housing provide timely housing assistance that is responsive to people with a very high, high or urgent need for housing who meet the eligibility criteria. This service can help connect and improve the pathways between the homelessness and social housing sectors. The service encompasses crisis accommodation advice, bond loans, and rental grants alongside information about transitional housing arrangements, facilitated by the Community Rent Scheme, which enables intensively managed and closely monitored housing assistance based on assessed need.

The Housing Assist Qld app is also available on Apple, Android and Windows platforms as a free download to apply for and check the status of your bond loans and grants:

New students to the region
New domestic and international students

The following websites can also assist domestic and international students new to the region: