Dr Shahab Pourfakhimi is a tourism consumer behaviour researcher, working at USC Business School in the role of lecturer, Tourism, Leisure and Event Management since March, 2017. Shahab is based at our Fraser Coast campus.
Shahab is the social media editor of the Journal of Sustainable Tourism. Before joining USC, Shahab taught various tourism, marketing, hospitality and events courses at the University of Otago and Victoria University of Wellington in New Zealand. He has also worked in several research and industrial projects in New Zealand, Malaysia and Iran. He is currently leading a number of innovative Tourism and consumer research projects collaborating with scholars from New Zealand, Australia, China, Iran and Malaysia.
Shahab’s research interests generally involve studying consumer behaviour in tourism, hospitality and events. He is particularly interested in investigating the socio-psychological dimensions of tourists’ perceptions, choices and experiences. In his doctoral thesis, he investigated consumers’ hotel selection behaviour with a focus on the impact of electronic word of mouth on their hotel choice. His more recent projects included a series of empirical and conceptual investigations of the adoption and impacts of smart, social and mobile information and communication technologies in tourism, hospitality and events. His current projects mainly involve exploring the cognitive and affective dimensions of consumers’ choices and experiences in tourism, hospitality and events and studying the impact of such experiences on their wellbeing and quality of life.
You can follow Shahab’s developing academic publication record using the following academic social platforms:
- International Federation for Information Technology and Travel & Tourism
- The Council for Australasian Tourism and Hospitality Education
Awards and Scholarships
- USC Business School Engagement Award (2019)
- The International Federation for IT and Travel & Tourism Award for the best doctoral research proposal (2014), Dublin, Ireland
- Internet NZ Conference Support Grant (2013), Internet NZ Foundation, Wellington, New Zealand
- The University of Otago Doctoral Scholarship Award (2013), Dunedin, New Zealand
- The University of Malaya Bright Sparks Scholarships Awards (2013), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- CIPD Short Term Grant, University Technology Malaysia (2012), Johor, Malaysia
- The University Technology Malaysia Best Postgraduate Student Award (2012), Johor, Malaysia