Dr Dan Wadsworth is a Lecturer in Applied Science in the School of Nursing, Midwifery and Paramedicine. He has an extensive history of lecturing to diverse cohorts of students within the Health Sciences, having previously worked in New Zealand and the UK, and in 2016 became a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA) in recognition of his work in higher education. Employing a wide-range of delivery tools, techniques and media to continually engage his students, Dan channels his own passion for learning in order to cater for learners of all abilities and backgrounds. His student-centric approach is grounded in his own experiences as a learner, and Dan aims to make health science as simple and accessible as possible by drawing on real-world foundations and experiences to empower students with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to succeed.
An ongoing desire to learn and question has led to Dan developing a diverse research background, with two main streams of enquiry. Firstly, Dan has completed his PhD studies in clinical exercise physiology, exploring the success of an exercise-intervention tailored for use with the frail elderly. Secondly, in reflecting on his own teaching-practice Dan has developed an ongoing portfolio of educational research looking at best practice in tertiary health science education, focusing on the appropriate use of technology, the student transition into tertiary education, and the globalisation/internationalisation of higher education. This has resulted in numerous research collaborations at institutional, national and international level, and many subsequent journal articles, book chapters and conference presentations.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (UK)
- Member of Sport & Exercise New Zealand (SESNZ)
- Sports Medicine Australia
- Australian & New Zealand Mental Health Association
- SCHI Membership
2015 College of Health Teaching Excellence Award (Massey University, NZ)
- exercise rehabilitation in the elderly, with a focus on falls-prevention in the frail elderly
- best-practice in tertiary education for health sciences
- the globalisation and internationalisation of higher education
- nutrition-based research, including sports-nutrition and performance
- exercise performance and recovery
- Biochemistry and Life Sciences
- Anatomy and Physiology
Dan Wadsworth’s specialist areas of knowledge are exercise rehabilitation, falls-prevention, tertiary education for health sciences, the globalisation and internationalisation of higher education and nutrition-based research.