Vikki Schaffer began working at USC in 2005. She is a proud USC graduate who completed an undergraduate degree in Sustainable Tourism, BA Honours (Class 1) and Doctorate in Philosophy. Vikki has a strong interest in adventure and conservation with a particular passion for the marine environment.
Vikki is a recipient of an Advanced Award for Advancing Quality Teaching in 2017 and Advance Team Award for advancing the student experience in 2018. In keeping with the premise that it takes a village to graduate a student Vikki uses innovative approaches, enthusiasm, commitment and active engagement in the business and wider community to inform research, enhance student learning and support industry and community development.
Research grants and funding
- 2018. A$8777. Evaluation of the Sunshine Coast TurtleCare program – stakeholder perceptions. A Sunshine Coast Regional Council funded project.
- 2018. A$2195. Citizen Science for monitoring beaches – Coastsnap. An examination of social media as a means to collect images to monitor a Sunshine Coast beach. A Sunshine Coast Regional Council funded project.
- 2015 and 2017. New Colombo Plan funded project leader on two undergraduate, teaching and research based tours to Vava’u, Kingdom of Tonga.
- 2016. A$15,000. Immersive Media: Bringing learning to life to stimulate authentic student engagement.
This project sought to enhance student engagement through the development of innovative curricula supported by visualisation and immersive simulation for authentic learning that recognises and responds to diverse student learning needs. USC.
- 2013. A$157,000. Seafood extension research. Postdoctoral Scholarship. SCRC, FDRC, ACPF, USC.
- 2012. A$345,197. Identification of the core leadership group and network structure of East Coast Trawl to develop, implement and evaluate strategic opportunities.
This project investigated the development of collaboration to leverage existing and future market opportunities through an understanding of industry social capital and social networks to support internal leadership. SCRC, FDRC, ACPF, USC.
- 2011. A$5,115. Improving learning experiences by building collaborative and cooperative networks between undergraduate students, local communities and academics through the integration of work integrated learning (WIL) and social media technologies in assessment tasks.
This project investigated the use of social media technologies and the building of networks between university staff, students and local communities on learning outcomes including the building of cooperative relationships with the local business community; improvement of graduate destinations opportunities (employability); enrichment of the student experience and positively affected retention. USC.
- Sustainable tourism: marine-related tourism: natural and artificial reefs, whale tourism,
- Citizen Science
- Visualisation and immersive experiences for teaching and learning
- Visualisation and immersive experiences for enhancing the visitor experience
- Regional tourism
- Sustainable Tourism, Leisure and Event Management
- Technology and Innovation in Tourism, Leisure and Event Management
- Business Internships
- Service Quality
- Event Management
- International Tourism Management
Dr Vikki Schaffer's specialist areas of knowledge include special interest tourism, leisure, sustainable tourism, leisure and event management, technology and innovation in tourism, leisure and event management and destination management