Sandra (Sandie) Elsom is a specialist in adult learning, lecturing in the Tertiary Preparation Pathway where she is the course coordinator for TPP102/UCC102 ICT for Academic and Professional Applications. Sandie’s aim is to help students embrace their strengths and grow their abilities with the help of technology.
Sandie’s Masters’ research had a specific focus on exploring the experiences of enabling education students at a regional campus. This provided many valuable insights into the unique ways adult learners approach their education, shaping her pedagogical strategies to their distinct needs. Her current PhD research is investigating how students can learn via an alternate reality game embedded in the curriculum of their university course. Her goal is to craft a framework for the integration of alternate reality games in higher education. Her teaching focuses on helping adult students to understand their own needs and learning preferences. Sandie is a four-time recipient of an Erasmus+ Scholarship from the European Union, teaching Critical Thinking for German and international students at the RheinAhr Campus of The Koblenz University of Applied Sciences in Germany. Sandie has a developing interest in the ethical and responsible use of Artificial Intelligence to support learning.
- Serious Games Development: involved in the design and implementation of serious games, one specifically tailored for staff training and another that aims to assist international students in acclimating to unfamiliar environments.
- JustAsk Initiative: part of the innovative team behind UniSC's peer support workshop – JustAsk. This program was developed in collaboration between UniSC academic staff and community partner, Peachtree Perinatal wellness.
- AI in Education: With a keen interest in the integration of artificial intelligence within the educational sector, Sandie is exploring how AI can elevate student learning. The primary objective is to assist students in honing their higher-order thinking skills, leveraging the power of technology.
- Golden Key International Honour Society
- Justice of the Peace (Qualified)
- Awarded the Erasmus + scholarship from the European Union on four distinct occasions, providing the enriching experience of teaching in Germany
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Research Week 2014 — Best Research Presentation — Faculty of Arts and Business, USC
- Learning and Teaching Week 2014 — People's Choice Winner — Faculty of Arts and Business, USC
- Access to higher education
- Game-based learning
- Serious games
- Diverse learners
- Wellness in academia
- Artificial intelligence
Sandra Elsom's specialist area of knowledge is adult education, with a growing interest in the development of AI tools to support learning.