How to defer | UniSC | University of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

Accessibility links

How to defer

For intakes commencing 2023 onwards, UniSC will permit successful applicants to defer the commencement of their program for up to one year in most undergraduate programs, most postgraduate programs, and the Tertiary Preparation Pathway (TPP).

Note: Existing deferral rules apply for remaining intakes in 2022, i.e. two years for most undergraduate programs and Tertiary Preparation Pathway (TPP).

Deferment is not permitted for the following programs:

  • All undergraduate certificates
  • All End-On Honours programs
  • Master of Psychology (Clinical)
  • Master of Professional Psychology

Deferment is also not available for non-award students (e.g. Headstart, Visiting, Cross-institutional).

To defer the commencement of your place, you must select deferment when responding to your offer direct with UniSC soon as possible after receiving your offer. Please note, if you received your offer through QTAC you must also accept your offer with QTAC by the QTAC offer response due date. Additional instructions are noted below.

In most cases, deferment is automatically approved, however for the Bachelor of Medical Science, you must submit a written request and approval is at the discretion of the Head of School.

Please note, if you defer your place in the Bachelor of Midwifery, Bachelor of Nursing Science or Bachelor of Nursing Science (Graduate Entry) you will be required to demonstrate that you meet the English language requirements at the time of taking up your deferred place.

How to defer your offer (excluding Bachelor of Medical Science)

Login to USC Central with the username and the initial password provided in your USC letter of offer.

You will be able to defer your offer in USC Central up until census date by selecting Defer under the Offers tile.

How to apply for deferral - Bachelor of Medical Science students only

Email Student Central at outlining the reasons for your request. You will be notified of the outcome of your request via email.

How to defer after you have accepted your offer with UniSC

If it is before census date in your first semester of study, you can apply to defer after accepting your place in your program.

Login to USC Central using your username and password.

  1. Select Tasks
  2. Select My Forms > Fill out a new form
  3. Select Program Deferral
  4. Complete the required details and click Submit.

You will receive confirmation that your deferral has been approved via email.

When your deferral is approved, this will drop any current and future course enrolment you currently have.

You can also view the How to defer after accepting your offer guide (PDF 844KB) for instructions.

How to change the semester you wish to take up your deferred place

Login to USC Central using your username and password.

  1. Select Tasks
  2. Select My Forms > Fill out a new form
  3. Select Change return deferral term
  4. Complete the required details and click Submit.
What happens next?

You are guaranteed a place in the program for which the original offer was made for up to 1 year, providing the program is available to commencing students in that year.

Program requirements and program structures may change during your deferment period. When you take up your deferred place, the program requirements and program structure that you will follow will be those in place in the semester you commence studying.

If your credit was assessed and finalised before your deferment, you need to submit a new credit application for the intake when you decide to return so we can make sure you are awarded the maximum possible credit in line with current program requirements. There is no need to resubmit documents unless there have been changes since that time. If you would like to apply for credit transfer or recognition of prior learning you must submit your application before the credit transfer on-time application due date to make sure it is assessed before classes start.

If the program is no longer offered or there has been a substantial change to the admission requirements or the program, the University will try to offer you a place in an appropriate alternative program.

Not all programs are available for mid-year entry—refer to the program description for your preferred program for commencement details.