Stunning artwork by high school students on show
14 Aug 2018
An exhibition of stunning artwork by secondary school students from across the region will go on display at the USC Art Gallery on Thursday 23 August.
The Creative Generation 2018 exhibition will be opened at 6.15pm by Terry Deen, the Head of Learning at Queensland Art Gallery and the Gallery of Modern Art, who has had an extensive career in art and design education and is a passionate advocate of arts learning.
This annual regional showcase is part of a State-wide program to recognise and promote excellence in senior visual arts education and student achievement in visual art throughout Queensland schools.
USC Art Gallery Manager Megan Williams said the gallery was proud to have hosted the Creative Generation exhibition for the North Coast Education Region, that extends from Strathpine to Cooroy, for more than 10 years.
“Each year we are impressed and delighted by the quality and creativity of the submissions,” Ms Williams said.
“This year’s exhibition includes photography, painting, mixed media, sculpture, video and installation works by young artists who have been exploring contemporary ideas and art-making processes during the 2018 school year.
“For most of the young artists involved, this will be the first time their artwork has been presented in a professional art gallery environment.
“It is exciting to be able to play a part in the development of young artists’ careers and we hope that for many of them this is just the beginning.”
Ms Williams said the North Coast regional award recipients would be announced as part of the opening event.
“These awards include those for excellence, commendation and regional encouragement, with winning pieces going on to be exhibited at the prestigious Gallery of Modern Art in Brisbane in 2019,” she said.
The exhibition is presented in association with Queensland Government’s Department of Education and Training and Q Super and will continue until Saturday 8 September. School groups are encouraged to visit.
USC Art Gallery is located at the USC campus at Sippy Downs Drive, Sippy Downs. It is open free to the public from 10am to 4pm Monday to Saturday. The gallery is closed Sundays and public holidays.
- Exhibition: Creative Generation 2018
- Exhibition dates: 23 August – 8 September 2018
- Opening hours: 10am to 4pm Monday to Saturday, closed Sundays and public holidays
- Official opening event: Thursday 23 August 6:15pm at USC Art Gallery
- RSVP on Eventbrite at eventbrite.com.au/e/creative-generation-tickets-48187545245
- Students participating are from more than 30 state and independent secondary schools from the North Coast education region that encompasses Pine Rivers, in the south, to Cooroy in the north.
- More than 50 artworks on display have been produced as part of the senior visual art curriculum studies in 2018.