USC is widening participation in higher education through far reaching strategic initiatives which raise awareness of, access to, and capacity for further study.
USC supports the Federal Government ambition to improve the participation of people from equity groups that have been under-represented in higher education. This is articulated in the USC 2019-2022 Strategic Plan priorities to enable access to the USC experience, increase the number of students from equity backgrounds, and develop new programs through innovative partnerships.
USC’s widening participation goals are long-term and aim to improve social inclusion by developing or supporting initiatives that build aspiration, increase pathways for future students, and support current students. This is achieved through collaborative activities with schools, TAFE, other universities, and community organisations by:
- Developing educational resources with schools;
- Raising parent awareness of further education opportunities;
- Providing professional development activities for teachers;
- Offering career planning and guidance for adult learners;
- Building confidence and expectations of personal attainment; and
- Demystifying higher education and offering tertiary taster activities.
USC’s widening participation programs are supported through both University and Commonwealth (Higher Education Participation and Partnerships Program) funding.
Current partnerships and initiatives include:
- University Skills for You
- Tertiary Preparation Pathway
- Secondary STEM Outreach Programs
- Academic Skills workshops
- The Smith Family Learning for Life Students
- James Nash SHS Middle School STEAM Excellence Program
- Robotics & Coding Workshop
- Science and Engineering Challenge
- Science & Engineering Discovery Day
- STEM Connect Program
- Maths Modelling Challenge
- The Explore Career Inspiration Program for Primary Schools
- The Emerge Career Inspiration Program for High Schools
- The Smith Family Work Inspirations Program
- Creative Writing Excellence Program (Primary)
- Creative Writing Excellence Program (Secondary)
- Sport for Thought
- Make Integrate Explore (MIE) School
For further information about current projects contact:
Access and Diversity Unit
Tel: +61 7 5430 2893
Fax: +61 7 5459 4832