Insurance information for students | UniSC | University of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

Accessibility links

Insurance information for students

To be eligible for USC insurance coverage you must be a student with an active enrolment status in accordance with the definition provided in the Admissions, Enrolments and Graduation – Academic Policy.

There must also be an approved USC risk assessment covering the activity you will be undertaking.

Student insurance information – general

This information applies to approved student activities undertaken within Australia – for example coursework, excursions, placements, fieldwork, research, etc – for actively enrolled undergraduate and postgraduate students.

Please note that it is only the USC risk-assessed activity that is covered by USC insurance policies, and that USC insurance does not extend to extracurricular activities undertaken by students. It students intend to partake in extracurricular activities, they may wish to consider additional private insurance.

Student Personal Accident insurance

The Student Personal Accident insurance covers enrolled USC students and provides 24-hour cover, 365 days a year for accidental death and capital benefits while undertaking approved USC activities within Australia.

The cover is for accident only, not sickness.

The policy provides benefits for death, disability, some loss of wages and medical expenses arising from accidental injury. Medical expenses where there is a full or partial Medicare rebate/benefit available are not covered; therefore a student will be responsible for any out-of-pocket expenses should they choose to be treated by a medical practitioner or facility that does not bulk bill.

The policy assumes students will be treated in a public hospital.

This policy should not be seen as a substitute for private medical health cover or accident and life cover. Any activity which is not part of the USC (risk assessed) activity (for example extreme sports, sightseeing or shopping) is not covered by the University's personal accident insurance.

Note: Students are not covered by WorkCover. WorkCover is an insurance for organisation employees.

Public liability insurance

Students are indemnified for legal liability in respect of third-party claims for damages to property or injury to persons while undertaking an approved USC approved activity. This cover does not extend to incidents involving motor vehicles.

Professional indemnity insurance

The University holds professional indemnity insurance which covers you as a student, when you act within the limits of your training, for legal liability arising out of a breach of professional duty by reason of any negligent act, error or omission committed or alleged to have been committed by you whilst engaged in an approved unpaid placement.

Medical malpractice insurance

This policy provides cover against civil liability for compensation arising from any claim as a result of medical malpractice.

All treatment given by a student must be under the direct supervision or express instruction of a qualified practitioner. All applicable clinical protocols must be followed.

All patients or guardians must be fully informed, and consent must be obtained before commencing any care, procedure or intervention.

Personal property insurance

Student personal property is not covered by the University’s insurance at any time. If you wish to arrange cover for personal items, you must do so at your own expense.

Motor vehicle insurance

If students use a private car(s) and/or motorcycles on off-campus activities, it is the student’s responsibility to arrange insurance, as University insurance does not extend to private motor vehicles. All students should ensure any vehicle they travel in is roadworthy with current fully paid registration, and current compulsory third-party insurance at minimum.

If a student wishes to arrange motor vehicle and/or motorcycle insurance, it is at the student’s expense. If a student is driving a vehicle owned by the Industry Partner, insurance is the responsibility of the Industry Partner and not the University. However, if a student uses an Industry Partner's vehicle(s), the student should confirm what type of insurance is held and if cover applies.

Personal health insurance

The University does not provide any personal medical insurance cover for students. If a student wishes to arrange private health cover, it is at the student’s own expense.

Students who are eligible to enrol in Medicare are covered under Medicare. International students must have health insurance as a condition of their entry to Australia. International students are advised to contact the International Office in relation to Overseas Student Health Cover.

Travel insurance

The University has insurance that may cover approved USC domestic and overseas activities – for example course work, excursions, placements, fieldwork, research, etc – undertaken by actively enrolled undergraduate and postgraduate students).

In some circumstances, students may be required to purchase their own comprehensive travel insurance.

Associated leisure/private travel may be taken either side of or during an approved placement or study period. The associate leisure/private travel portion must not exceed more than 60 percent of the placement/study period in its entirety. Where the duration of the trip is less than 10 days, a maximum of five days’ leisure/private travel shall apply.

It is important to note that the University insurance policy could exclude cover for travel to countries where the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has issued a specific warning not to travel.

Under the policy, an insurer can reject claims (such as evacuation costs) in cases where:

  • a warning was in place before the date the travel was booked advising that such events were likely to occur, or
  • an occurrence is considered to have been foreseeable to a reasonable person before a traveller entered the country.

All claims for loss or damage, injury or sickness can be rejected if caused by an act of war (whether declared or not), including invasion or civil war, or if you do not meet the conditions the insurer sets.
Insurers can also reject medical claims for pre-existing medical conditions. If you are aware of a pre-existing health/medical condition which may impact on your travel, it is advisable that you obtain written confirmation with your medical practitioner that you are fit to travel.

Pre-Existing Medical Condition means any physical defect, medical or dental condition, illness, injury or disease that:

  1. within the two (2) years prior to the Issue Date on Your Certificate of Insurance
    1. requires either of the following:
      1. ongoing medication for treatment or risk factor control;
      2. prescribed medication from a Doctor;
      3. check-ups, consultations, reviews or progress advice (other than those recommended by a Doctor to review a previous condition that is considered by a Doctor at the Issue Date to be cured or in complete remission); or
      4. surgery; or
    2. is either
      1. under investigation;
      2. pending diagnosis or test results;
      3. chronic or arthritic; or
  1. within the three (3) years prior to the Issue Date on Your Certificate of Insurance involves
    1. any of the following body parts:
      • heart;
      • brain (other than a mental health related condition);
      • liver;
      • back / spine;
      • kidneys;
      • cardiovascular or circulatory or respiratory system; and
    2.  where such medical condition either
      1. involved a hospital emergency visitation or being an inpatient in hospital; or
      2. required or requires surgery, a specialist appointment or consultation; or
      3. requires:
        1. ongoing medication for treatment or risk factor control; or
        2. prescribed medication from a Doctor; or
        3. check-ups, consultations, reviews or progress advice (other than those recommended by a Doctor to review a previous condition that is considered by a Doctor at the Issue Date to be cured or in complete remission); or
    3. is currently either:

      1. under investigation; or

      2. pending diagnosis or test results; or

  2. within the five (5) years prior to the Issue Date on Your Certificate of Insurance was cancer; or

  3. within the three (3) months immediately prior to the Issue Date on Your Certificate of Insurance led to the manifestation of symptoms where a reasonable person in the circumstances would be expected to be aware of or a reasonable person under the circumstances would have foreseen.
Overseas travel

When considering overseas travel, you should check the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s (DFAT) Smartraveller website for current travel advice.

Travel outside of Australia for University purposes will not be approved to any area for which the current DFAT overall advice level is ‘Do not travel’, or if insurance cover is not available. Any international travel is currently being considered by Executive on a case-by-case basis with consideration to the risk.

DFAT’s Smartraveller website includes information for students studying overseas, which you may find helpful in preparing for your travel.

In preparation for any overseas travel, you should do the following:

  • Organise comprehensive travel insurance for any personal travel you do before and after your approved USC activity, and check what circumstances and activities are not covered by your policy.
  • Subscribe to DFAT’s travel advice for your upcoming destination(s) to receive free email updates each time the travel advice is reissued.
  • Check the validity of your passport before booking travel
  • Check that mobile phone coverage is available at your destination, and enable international roaming (if relevant)
  • Check baggage allowances with your airline carrier
  • Photocopy all travel documents and insurance details, and email these to yourself and a next of kin
  • If you have a pre-existing medical condition, have your doctor (after sighting your itinerary) confirm you are fit to travel.
  • Receive all recommended vaccinations and medication from a doctor
  • Download and install the Chubb Travel Smart app
Chubb Travel Smart app

Once you have downloaded the app, you can complete the one-time registration process within the app by clicking 'Sign up' below the login button.

You will be prompted for:

  • your name and email address, and
  • your company policy number (04PP007665)

You will then receive a final email to verify and activate your profile. From your smartphone, click the link within the email and follow the instructions to activate your profile.

Tap on the Travel Smart app icon and sign in using your email address and password you created during the registration process.

The smartphone app provides comprehensive support for travelling students, including:

  • Direct access to Chubb’s medical and security assistance partners, providing immediate emergency medical and security assistance.
  • Live location-based alerts including infrastructure and transport disruptions, natural disasters, civil and political unrest, terrorist threats and health and disease risks.
  • The ability for travellers to receive messages from the University by email or SMS directly to their smartphone. For example, during a crisis situation where fast and reliable communication is needed, or to inform them of a change in their itinerary.
  • Access to country-specific advice, including recommended vaccinations, cultural dos and don’ts, language, climate, visa and passport requirements, plugs and adapters required, travel and transportation advice, currency converter, public holidays and festivals.
  • A library of medical conditions and medications, providing details of the likely symptoms, recommended medications, possible side-effects and treatment.
  • Embassy and consulate contact information and opening hours.
  • The ability to change location settings so that users can report their exact location, or just be located at country level, and still receive relevant country-based alerts.
  • Access to very detailed country-specific security information and advice.
For more information

View the Student Travel Insurance Summary.

If you have any questions regarding this coverage, please contact

Notification of accidents, incidents and injuries

Accidents, incidents or injuries that occur whilst attending/undertaking USC approved student activities should be reported to your supervisor and also reported in USC’s online incident reporting system ASAP. If the incident or injury has occurred at a third-party facility (eg at a non-USC facility), you may need to also follow that facility’s incident reporting procedures as well.