Other study and living costs | UniSC | University of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

Accessibility links

Other study and living costs

Course-related costs

In addition to general living costs, you’ll need things like textbooks, a computer, memory stick and stationery. Also remember to budget for course-related equipment such as lab coats or uniforms, and regular expenses like printing costs, parking or public transport.

Some professional programs (eg education, health) may require memberships, certifications, licences and/or immunisations. Check your program page for details.

Design program students should allow additional money for materials and printing costs.

Second-hand textbooks are often available at reduced prices (check the student forums on Blackboard) or your textbook maybe available for loan in the library (English Language Program students are loaned textbooks for the duration of their course)

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is compulsory for most International students who are studying in Australia on a Student visa.

The costs for OSHC vary depending on the type of cover (single, couple/single parent or family) and the duration of your studies. This cost is separate to your tuition fees.

USC can arrange visa-length OSHC for you and accompanying family members on your behalf with our preferred provider, Medibank. You can review the benefits of Medibank's Comprehensive OSHC policy and pricing here.

To find out more about the cost of OSHC through Medibank, contact the International Office for a quote.

Living costs

An international student at USC would normally require approximately A$380 to A$400 per week to live comfortably on the Sunshine Coast. This covers typical accommodation costs, food, transport and other daily life expenses. This amount is in addition to airfares, visa application, health cover and tuition fees and will vary depending on your lifestyle and preferences.

If you have a spouse or dependent child accompanying you to Australia, you will need to allow more for living expenses.

The Department of Home Affairs provide an outline of how much a student should budget for living costs for themselves and any dependents. You can view it by visiting their Student visa - Step by Step instructions and by checking the information provided in Step 2 - Gather your documents > Evidence you have enough money for your stay.

Study in Australia also provide information about indicative costs for living in Australia.

If your dependants are of school-age, you will be required to pay full fees for their schooling. You should allow at least A$8,000 to A$8,300 per year for the cost of each child's schooling.

The below should be used as a guide only.

Expenses Approximate cost
Private share accommodation A$85–$215 (per week)
Homestay accommodation (includes some meals) A$235-325 (per week)
Food A$80+ (per week)
Gas, Electricity A$35 -$140 (per week)
Telephone (depending on number and distance of calls) A$10–$20 (per week)
Transport A$20-$55 (per week)
Stationery, photocopying, etc A$20 (per week)
Entertainment A$80-$150 (per week)
Cinema ticket (student rates) A$16.00
Postage (within Australia) A$1.10 minimum
Postage (international) A$2.75 minimum
Food items *  
Bread A$1.90- $3.50
Milk (2 litre) A$2.00 - $3.10
Cheese (500g) A$5.50 - $8.60
Cereal (small box) A$3.50 - $5.00
Powerade (Sports drink - 600ml bottle) A$2.90 - $3.30
Corn chips (200g large bag) A$1.99 -$3.20
Big Mac A$5.50
Can of soft drink A$1.80- $2.50

* Food costs are approximate only, taken from a local supermarket website and are current at the time of publishing.