Janet has been an educator and librarian for over twenty years in a range of tertiary, corporate and public organisations. Janet is currently an Associate Lecturer in communication, and part of a large foundational first year communication and skills course that is mandatory for all first year students to complete.
Her research interests include learning and teaching strategies that take a whole of the University approach, holistic student skill development and first year retention and transition to University.
- Citation Award, 2017, Commonwealth Office for Learning and Teaching (OLT). Awarded to Janet as part of the COR109 team in recognition for a collaborative transdisciplinary team culture, which facilitates an exemplary supportive tertiary education experience for first year students through scholarly and informed curricula and resources.
- Citation Award, 2012, Commonwealth Office of Learning and Teaching (OLT) awarded to Janet and Johanna Einfalt for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning ‘for designing and driving a sustained assessment support model built on collaborative partnerships and paving the way for student growth in skill, independence and peer-to-peer learning.’
- first year student learning experience
- student self-efficacy through engagement with support services
- feedback for learning
- reducing anxiety for students in public speaking
- food security in the Pacific Island region
- Information Literacy in the Field of Business
Janet Turley’s specialist areas of knowledge include, student retention, engagement and transitions and the second-year student experience.