Study overseas in any area you’re passionate about.
Are you looking to study abroad for one # or two semesters, and want to receive an Australian qualification while you study?
If your answer is yes, then USC’s Diploma in General Studies may be the program for you!
USC’s Diploma in General Studies is a recognised 1-year (96 units) Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) award program.
This program is only available to international students.
- Only a full-time option is available to international students on a Student visa. Online programs are not available to Student visa holders.
- * Estimated tuition fees are based on 2020 rates. Refer to international fees for more information.
- Not all majors/minors and elective options are available at every campus. You should refer to the What Can I Study tab, and the proposed study sequence for your chosen campus and intake for further information.
- This program is only available to international students.
- Student profile
Explore the likely peer cohort in the student profile data
- Inherent Academic Requirements
Prospective students should consider the Inherent Academic Requirements before applying to study this program.
This program is a great option if you have just finished high school and want to study abroad without committing to a 3- or 4-year degree program. It is also a good option, if you are currently enrolled at an overseas institution and only want to study abroad for a short time, while possibly earning an AQF qualification to use towards your home degree*.
* Subject to home institution approval.
Course flexibility while studying amongst the locals
To be eligible to graduate from this program, you are required to successfully complete 8 courses (96 units) over two semesters.
Each semester you will be required to enrol in 4 courses (or 48 units) from USC’s extensive course catalogue.
The courses on offer are taken directly from within several of USC’s undergraduate programs, which means you have the opportunity to enrol in classes with the locals, while having the flexibility to choose your preferred courses.
Head to the What will I study? tab to see all the courses you can choose from.
Graduate with an award and celebrate your achievements
Students who successfully complete the Diploma in General Studies program are eligible to
- Graduate with an (AQF) Diploma
- Participate in the USC Graduation ceremony, and/or
- Participate in the International Ceremony of Completion
Apply for credit and complete your program in one semester #
USC offers eligible students the opportunity to apply for the Diploma in General Studies with up to 50 percent credit transfer#, which gives students the opportunity to complete the program in one semester.
# To be eligible, students with recognised prior tertiary studies must apply for and receive credit transfer into the Diploma in General Studies.
- Students can apply for credit for up to 4 courses (or 48 units)
- If 4 courses of credit transfer are granted, students will be required to successfully complete the remaining 4 courses (48 units) at USC to graduate
- Eligibility of credit transfer can only be assessed once an application has been received
To be awarded the Diploma in General Studies, students are required to successfully complete 8 courses (96 units).
Students will undertake 4 courses (or 48 units) per semester and can choose from the:
- Undergraduate elective course options
Note: Any courses that have pre-requisite courses will need to be assessed and approved by USC International.
How to choose your courses
- Select your preferred courses from either of these lists
- Please ensure you read the elective courses and requisites information carefully.
- When you apply to USC, nominate the courses that you wish to undertake in your first semester.
The standard course load for this program is 4 courses (or 48 units) per semester. We recommend you choose more courses at the point of application, to be prepared for possible timetable clashes.
When we receive your complete application with your nominated courses, we will assess your eligibility and let you know by email which courses have been approved.
Remember, any course that is on the pre-approval list has already been approved by USC and you do not require further approval from us prior to enrolment.
For students applying via their home institution:
If you are currently enrolled at a tertiary institution, you need to check with your home institution about the possibility of credit transfer for courses studied at USC.
Choose your courses and have them approved by USC and your home institution before you arrive.
Note: Program structures are subject to change. Not all USC courses are available on every USC campus.