Applications for AINSE 2021 Winter School are now closed.
The Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE Ltd) Winter School is offering one scholarship to nominated USC students to attend the 2021 AINSE Winter School on applications of nuclear techniques.
AINSE Ltd. offers scholarships to each of its member universities to enable a nominated student to participate in the annual Winter School held at ANSTO’s Sydney Campus each July.
The scholarship is open to all senior undergraduate students interested in learning about the techniques of nuclear analysis. Such techniques have applications across a wide range of disciplines, including archaeology, biology, chemistry, engineering, geology, materials science, medicine, nanotechnology, and physics.
The AINSE Winter School provides an ideal opportunity for students in their final year of undergraduate STEM studies to meet potential collaborators and explore potential options for future research projects and meet potential collaborators. Throughout the week, students attend a mix of lectures, social programs, and experiments relating to:
- Neutron Scattering (using neutron beamlines on the OPAL Multipurpose Reactor);
- X-Ray and IR Scattering (using beamlines on the Australian Synchrotron);
- Ion Beam Analysis (using ANSTO’s suite of linear accelerators);
- Environmental studies using natural radioactivity (including sedimentation rates and erosion, geomorphology, and climate change);
- Nuclear techniques in soil and groundwater studies (including nuclear probes for metals in soils, radioactive tracers in flow studies, and pollution tracking); and
- Nuclear techniques in Materials Science.
A virtual tour of other major ANSTO facilities is also included in the program, alongside an online Research Roundup networking event for students to discuss future research opportunities working alongside ANSTO researchers.
- part time or full time Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) students in their final year of undergraduate studies or Honours studies at USC
- Eligible programs
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics programs
- Number available
AINSE pays for flights, accommodation, all meals and social activities during the program.