Applications are now open and will close 13 December 2020
Awarded to two (2) student recipients annually, who is a second or third year nursing student at the Fraser Coast Campus undertaking a clinical placement in a rural or remote location, preferably in a community where Indigenous healthcare will be a significant part of the experience.
This award was first established in 2015 by Dr Vernon Harris in memory of his wife, Lucy Harris. Mrs Harris began her long and distinguished career as a midwife and nurse in 1938, working in the UK. During World War II she nursed casualties from the bombing of London and tutored pupil nurses at the Prince of Wales Hospital. She lived in Nigeria from 1951-1959 where she made contributions to various aspects of patient care through training nurses at London University’s, University College Hospital in Ibadan. While in Nigeria she established a children’s ward, two medical clinics and assisted with research into sickle cell anaemia and child malnutrition. After moving to Australia, Mrs Harris worked to assist premature babies at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Canberra before joining the Canberra District Nursing Service. She retired in 1976 and wrote an autobiography about her life and career which is available in the Fraser Coast Campus Library in Hervey Bay.
Please refer to the Queensland Health map of rural and remote health facilities to check if your placement facility meets the rural or remote location requirements.
Please Note: This scholarship or bursary is offered on a yearly basis through funds provided by an external donor. If funding is not available in any given year, the scholarship or bursary will not be awarded.
- second or third year Nursing student enrolled at the Fraser Coast Campus
- undertaking a clinical placement in a rural or remote location, preferably in a community where Indigenous healthcare will be a significant part of the experience
- Permanent resident of Australia, Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen or permanent Australian Humanitarian Visa holder
- Selection criteria
- academic achievement
- demonstrated financial need
- Eligible programs
- Bachelor of Nursing
- Number available
- 1 each semester
- Application form for Rural and Remote Nursing Bursaries - 380KB